Sent: Monday, June 9, 2014 8:50 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Large disjunction query practices

I'm wondering what the best practice for large disjunct queries in Solr is.
A user wants to submit a query for several hundred thousand terms, like:
(term1 OR term2 OR ... term500,000)

I know it might be better to break this up into multiple queries that can
be merged on the user's end, but I'm wondering if there's guidance for a
good limit of OR'ed terms per query.  100 terms?  200? 500?  Any idea what
kinds of data set or memory limitations might govern this threshold?

Thanks,
Joe

whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do
all this through him who gives me strength. *-Philippians 4:12-13*