Thanks Michael.  This indeed had something to do with environment.  mvn
test is running the test case without properly initialized environment.
Once I added System.setProperty( "java.home" , "/opt/jdk.../jre/" ) ; - it
started found the currency.data and moved on....

So it is clearly not solr - but if you have an idea of how to properly init
the system properties in mvn test - then you can surely point out.

Thanks...