bq: I need to add new Fields with SolrJ without changing schema.xml

You have three options:
1> change the schema.xml file. but you say you can't. Why not?
2> use dynamic fields. If you're lucky, you have the stock schema.xml
and can use them. They'll require some suffix to match the pattern
though.
3> use "managed schemas", the schemaless variant to just try to figure
it out or the managed variant and use the API to add fields before
using them.

But under any circumstance, you probably have to change your configs.

Best,
Erick