Show us the complete code you’re using.   Is the “text” not HTML text?   What
are you receiving exactly and what you expecting instead?

To use SolrJ with other types of responses (non-XML/javabin) you’ll need to
configure a ResponseParser.  The NoOpResponseParser may do the trick, where you
get back the text (though it would be HTML text) in the “response” key of the
NamedList returned.

        Erik