Aha, you are right wrdrvf! The query is forwarded to any of the active
shards (I saw the query alternate between both of mine). Nice feature.
Also, looking at 'ClusterStateAwarePingRequestHandler' (which I downloaded
from www.manning.com/SolrinAction), it is checking zookeeper to see if the
logical shard is active, not the specific 'this' replica, which is in
'recovering' state. I'll post a patch once I figure out the zookeeper api.

Thanks,
Peter