> 1. Modify the qf parameter directly by either adding the "_xx" language
> suffix to each field in qf, or replacing the "xx" for any qf fields that
> already have an "_xx" suffix.
> 2. Have separate "qf_xx" parameters which are customized for specific
> languages and then copy the language-specific "qf_xx" parameter to the main
> qf parameter based on the language that is detected.

The mix I make there is a little more subtle.
For this I need to remove the earlier query component and call it wrapped
around.
Anything that is not with a named field will have that multilingual expansion.
To do this: I call the query parser with a wild default field, then perform the
expansion on the expanded query for any term query that has the wild field,
these become a disjunction of the languages detected of interest, each analyzed
for their language.

This is also a solution to perform exact/stemmed/phonetic fields, and, for
example, prefer a match in the title to a match in the body.
This assumes, of course, that these fields exist in each language (and that
metaphone works, say, for German, for which no evidence exists yet).

paul