Hi,

which Ubuntu version are you using? On my Z31 booting a Jaunty
Jackalope 9.04 pre-release amd64 Live-CD X worked out of the box with
native 1600x900 resolution, even before I installed it permanently. I
haven't tried the current 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) -- is that what you are
running? I never downgraded the preinstalled Vista to XP and never
needed to boot into Windows to enable anything.

This is my generic xorg.conf:

$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

  Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
  EndSection

  Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
  EndSection

  Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
        Device          "Configured Video Device"
  EndSection

I should mention that I do run the patched sony_laptop module (Version
0.6) to reduce power consumption.

Hope that helps.
Mike