Hi Ricardo,

(and everybody else: I've just got my Vaio Z790DND the other day and put
Ubuntu Karmic on it; will report with more details as I find time; don't
ask about the "kaleidoscope" lid -- I got a really good deal for P9700,
6GB RAM and 128GB SSD in it :)

У нед, 13. 09 2009. у 10:24 +0100, Ricardo Ferreira пише:
> Just one thing, how is your battery life? Right now mine is...bad. It
> used to last for like 3h with the Intel, but now I'm only getting
> 2h40..

That's a relatively small variation that can result completely due to
variation in use.  If it's what you get gnome-power-manager to report
(i.e. the applet showing the battery status), it uses a "smart"
algorithm to figure out how long did the battery last for you on
average, and the approximation improves over time.

So, while it may initially judged your battery as lasting 3h, it has
tracked your usage and seen you get roughly 2h40m out of it (on
average).

For me, with sony-laptop compiled for 2.6.31 (using Norbert's patch),
with screen brightness slightly down (using setpci), powertop reports
about 15W (before it was at >20W, all with intel graphics, and just wifi
on, dvd polling disabled), which makes gnome-power-manager report
roughly 4h left.  Though, it still hasn't had enough discharge cycles to
be too smart about it.  I am still hoping I can go down to 9W I've seen
mentioned on the group home page, but let's see.

Also, it might be worth checking the health of your battery by
checking /proc/acpi/battery/BAT?/*.

Cheers,
Danilo