I can confirm this behavior on kernel 2.6.31-10 and -11. For my machine
(z11) it is the bug #430694, where a race condition between the kernel
modules agpgart-intel and drm  exists and randomly disables hardware
acceleration from the intel chip. Then X falls back to the awfully slow
software rendering (you can see this by calling glxinfo).

An update to 2.6.31-13 solved the problem, since a workaround is
implemented there.

Cheers,
Philipp