On So, 18 Okt 2009, Michael Ambrus wrote:
>    - The machine initially was booted with 0.9np3dev in place, and in
>    stamina mode when I started.

[...]

>    - Rebooted *without* switching the machine power-off (sudo shutdown -r
>    now)
>    - Machine boots up fine, verified that original sony_laptop module is
>    running (modinfo sony_laptop).
>    - Sound (earphone/speaker switching) was working. That didn't used to
>    work in 2.6.28.
>
> Noticed that 3G was still working (!). Ran the commands (in order):

That is expected.

That was the way I got my WWAN working before we had linux support:
- boot into windows
- turn it on there
- reboot (no hard switch off)
THe devices are turned off only at hard switch off time.

>    - Rebooted again. This time completely (power off)
>    - Noticed stamina/speed LED wasn't working
>    - gdm refused to start-up

Did you have the hardware switch set to speed or stamina?

>    - lspci showed nothing at 00:02.1 (only at 00:02.0 wich if I recall
>    correctly said VGA compatible controller: Intel ....)

Yeah, you should do most of these things with the Intel. Your Intel-nvidia
switching is not set up correctly. Your xorg.conf is probably written
for nvidia.

>    - This time gdm started up fine. Sound worked as above.
>    - But *no* 3G this time

Because you  use 2.6.28 with the old kernel module where there is no
support for rfkill.

BTW You should NOT (!!!) use my modules with such old kernels!!!! They
will NOT work. Please get the original one from Eva, that should work fine
with 2.6.28!

Best wishes

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining                                        Associate Professor
JAIST Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology   prein...@jaist.ac.jp
Vienna University of Technology                               prein...@logic.at
Debian Developer (Debian TeX Task Force)                    prein...@debian.org