Hello Norbert,

thank you very much for reading my code and your help. You know,
sometimes one become routine-blinded (betriebsblind) on its own
solutions and code, working on one side of the solution while other
parts are in fact a desert or much to complicated. ;-)

Am Dienstag, den 20.10.2009, 06:16 +0200 schrieb Norbert Preining:
> On Di, 20 Okt 2009, Raphael Gradenwitz wrote:
> >         'update-gl'
>
> Some remarks from reading the source code (mind I never did run the script):
>
> - it is very inefficient to use apt-get -s in make_inventory, what
>   about
>       [~] apt-cache policy

Thanks for that tip, the code could be shortened by 30 lines.

> - extract_lib:
>   Why not use dpkg-deb -x instead of ar etc to unpack the debs?

and that tip could shorten the code by another 20 lines.

> - I am still not happy with the links setup mechanism.
>   On Debian and AFAIR also Ubuntu the nvidia-glx package moves away
>   the libs to /usr/lib/nvidia/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa and
>   /usr/lib/nvidida/libglx.so.xlibmesa

Cool! Are just there and how it looks, maintained up to date!

>   dpkg ensures that even after updating the core packages the
>   links are correct and the files up2date.
>
>   So what I do here in the init.d switch script:
>       for intel:
>       ln -sf /usr/lib/nvidia/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa /usr/lib/libGL.so.100000
>       ln -sf /usr/lib/nvidia/libglx.so.xlibmesa
> /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
>
>       for nvidia:
>       ln -sf /usr/lib/libGL.so.185.18.36 /usr/lib/libGL.so.100000
>       ln -sf /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so.185.18.36
> /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
>
>   and that's it. THe point in having libGL.so.100000 is that the later
>   ldconfig will link
>       libGL.so -> libGL.so.100000 and thus always to the right one.

Good, I will next make the script create that (your) setup. Looks good,
simple and secure. I will test it, thanks!

>   How does your setup work when you do ldconfig? Does the ldconfig not
>   link the libGL.so to the nvidia one because it has a higher version
>   number?

Important seems to be only where it is linked to during GDM starts. I
did not yet have problems with wrong linked libs but after updating one
of them ldconfig links to nvidia, yes. But I repeat: never encounterd
problems with that (yet) since it links before loading the GDM, GDM
loads the libs and ready; no more lookups to the libs during that
session.

>   How are updates to the xserver-xorg-core and ... handled when running
>   nvidia/intel at the moment?

That was the reason I made my script to be absolutely sure. But now I am
wiser ;-)

> I only want to help, and at the end have a nice script I would use, too ;-)

You DID and DO help! Thank you very much!

Regards,

Raphael
--
(Please post and/or answer >if possible< with
Thanks)