Da: Alexandre Kaspar <alexandre.kas...@epfl.ch>
Oggetto: [Sony-vaio-z-series] Nvidia driver problem with kernel 2.6.30
A: sony-vaio-z-series@lists.launchpad.net
Data: Giovedì 15 ottobre 2009, 17:07
Hi,

I just got a big problem with the nvidia graphics card with
the new kernel 2.6.30 on Fedora.
The intel one is working well. No problem.

The nvidia is... not working with the nvidia driver (last
one 180...). But it works with 'vesa' or 'nv', or even
'nouveau' (but who cares ... we don't want them except
nouveau...). I actually need the nvidia one for 3d fast
computing (a reason why I bought this
Actually, I searched a lot and find out how to solve the
current problem.

I don't know if you have the same problem, but I share my
solution to you so that it may help someone :

Add a vmalloc=196M parameter to the kernel so that there is
enough memory for the nvidia driver.
Actually, I got the solution from this thread :
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=42278

I don't know if 196M is the good value (I may try some
other values... I think the less which is working is the
best for it doesn't take too much memory).

Anyway, it solved the problem for me (and I'm now really
happy :D).
Hope that can help.

Alexandre Kaspar

--http://www.wox-xion.ch/