Hi all, I upgraded from karmic to lucid few days ago. On karmic, nvidia driver was installed with the sony janitor script, thanks to Raphaƫl (sorry, I can't remember which ftp version I had, prety sure that was 195 but...) The first time I booted on speed mode after upgrade, fglxgears was not running, so I reinstalled the driver from ftp (195.36.24) with janitor script.
During install, I had some error message from dkms. These messages are the same that the ones from dkms status: sony-laptop-zseries, 0.9np5, 2.6.31-17-generic, x86_64: built sony-laptop-zseries, 0.9np5, 2.6.31-19-generic, x86_64: built sony-laptop-zseries, 0.9np5, 2.6.31-20-generic, x86_64: built sony-laptop-zseries, 0.9np5, 2.6.31-21-generic, x86_64: built sony-laptop-zseries, 0.9np5, 2.6.31-18-generic, x86_64: built sony-laptop-zseries, 0.9np5, 2.6.31-16-generic, x86_64: built sony-laptop-zseries, 0.9np5, 2.6.32-22-generic, x86_64: installed dkms.conf: Error! No 'DEST_MODULE_LOCATION' directive specified. dkms.conf: Error! No 'PACKAGE_NAME' directive specified. dkms.conf: Error! No 'PACKAGE_VERSION' directive specified. nvidia, 190.53, 2.6.31-17-generic, x86_64: built dkms.conf: Error! No 'DEST_MODULE_LOCATION' directive specified. dkms.conf: Error! No 'PACKAGE_NAME' directive specified. dkms.conf: Error! No 'PACKAGE_VERSION' directive specified. nvidia, 190.53, 2.6.31-19-generic, x86_64: built dkms.conf: Error! No 'DEST_MODULE_LOCATION' directive specified. dkms.conf: Error! No 'PACKAGE_NAME' directive specified. dkms.conf: Error! No 'PACKAGE_VERSION' directive specified. nvidia, 190.53, 2.6.31-20-generic, x86_64: built dkms.conf: Error! No 'DEST_MODULE_LOCATION' directive specified. dkms.conf: Error! No 'PACKAGE_NAME' directive specified. dkms.conf: Error! No 'PACKAGE_VERSION' directive specified. nvidia, 190.53, 2.6.31-21-generic, x86_64: installed dkms.conf: Error! No 'DEST_MODULE_LOCATION' directive specified. dkms.conf: Error! No 'PACKAGE_NAME' directive specified. dkms.conf: Error! No 'PACKAGE_VERSION' directive specified. nvidia, 190.53, 2.6.31-18-generic, x86_64: built dkms.conf: Error! No 'DEST_MODULE_LOCATION' directive specified. dkms.conf: Error! No 'PACKAGE_NAME' directive specified. dkms.conf: Error! No 'PACKAGE_VERSION' directive specified. nvidia, 190.53, 2.6.32-22-generic, x86_64: installed That's weird because I have only one kernel, the 2.6.32-22 and still have this messages, even after removing driver with janitor script. I tried to remove the nvidia module from dkms with: do...@domakistan-laptop:~$ sudo dkms remove -m nvidia -v 190.53 --all dkms.conf: Error! No 'DEST_MODULE_LOCATION' directive specified. dkms.conf: Error! No 'PACKAGE_NAME' directive specified. dkms.conf: Error! No 'PACKAGE_VERSION' directive specified. Error! Bad conf file. File: /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/190.53/source/dkms.conf does not represent a valid dkms.conf file. The /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/190.53/source is a link on a directory that doesn't exist: lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 2009-12-24 16:04 source -> /usr/src/nvidia-190.53 I don't know if dkms is the real problem but when I try to install the driver from distrib, I have some messages that seems to confirm that: dmesg: [ 27.028319] NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 195.36.15, but [ 27.028321] NVRM: this kernel module has the version 190.53. Please [ 27.028329] NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver [ 27.028330] NVRM: components have the same version. What should I do to remove this module without breaking my system (I have only some very basic knowledge on linux)? Thanks, Christophe -- This message was sent from Launchpad by the user domak (https://launchpad.net/~domakistan) using the "Contact this team" link on the Sony Vaio Z-series Laptop team page. For more information see https://help.launchpad.net/YourAccount/ContactingPeople _______________________________________________ Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~sony-vaio-z-series Post to : [email protected] Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~sony-vaio-z-series More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

