As far as I can tell from the doodle, there are two groups of sony-vaio-z-series models:
(1) sony-vaio-z-series09: models released in early 2009: VGNZ**. (2) sony-vaio-z-series10: models released in early 2010: VPCZ**, including the VPCZ11. The sony-vaio-z-series09 has a good howto, a janitor script and a few other Linux tweaks, but the sony-vaio-z-series10 is a different beast, with the BIOS and RAID peculiarities. Cheers, Albert. On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 9:18 AM, Philippe Piatkiewitz <[email protected]> wrote: > I agree, that a "HOWTO" would be a very nice thing to have. > But also realize that there are many different Z-series models, with > different configurations. I have trouble myself distinguishing > information applicable to my own model. > > Philippe > > On Wed, 2010-05-19 at 10:13 +0200, Aleix Solà wrote: >> Best site to get Ubuntu working: >> http://questier.com/2010/04/26/ubuntu-10-4-lucid-lynx-on-sony-vaio-vpcz11x9e/ >> >> >> 2010/5/19 Albert Vilella <[email protected]> >> I think there was an intention to summarize all the >> information in the >> mailing list for the >> sony-vaio-z-series10 models (Z11 et al.) and put in a wiki >> page, but I >> haven't heard back >> from anyone, so I assume it's not done yet. >> >> I think *many* of the issues have been dealt with in the >> mailing list, >> so reading through the archives should help: >> >> https://lists.launchpad.net/sony-vaio-z-series/threads.html >> >> Cheers, >> >> Albert. >> >> >> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 8:15 AM, Zithras <[email protected]> >> wrote: >> > I just got in a Sony Z series laptop and am trying to >> install Kubuntu on >> > it. >> > >> > Relevant specs: >> > i7 processor >> > dual graphics card (Intel/1 GB NVidia) >> > 4x 128 GB SSD >> > >> > The first problem i had was that the system had a RAID0 made >> out of the >> > 4 disks. I broke that down (2 days of effort before I >> finally figured >> > out a solution for THAT one, seeing as how Sony sends no OS >> install >> > discs, only Recovery discs to be used with the drives in >> RAID), and have >> > Windows 7 Ultimate x64 installed and working fine on drive >> 1. Drives 3-4 >> > are NTFS formatted to use as storage. Drive 2 is currently >> unformatted. >> > >> > I want to dual-boot Kubuntu and install it on drive 2. (and >> likely use >> > it as my main operating system). >> > >> > I downloaded and burned the Live CD (Intrepid Impala, >> 10.04), and it >> > loads the menu where it asks me to use it as a live OS or >> install >> > Kubuntu, and whenever I try and install Kubuntu (or use it >> Live, for >> > that matter), the screen goes nuts, showing some weird >> psychedelic color >> > pallette and making it basically impossible to see what I am >> doing. >> > >> > I have spent the last day googling, and have found various >> solutions >> > concerning graphics switching, black screens, touchpad >> issues, wifi >> > issues, and other annoyances. However, no one seems to have >> been flat >> > out unable to install Ubuntu (Kubuntu in my case). The >> closest I got to >> > my problem was a 'black screen' issue. >> > >> > If anyone has a similar laptop, or has faced a similar >> problem (wacky >> > colors when trying to install), please could you help me >> out! I love the >> > specs on this laptop (no one else is making 13 inch laptops >> that are >> > nearly this powerful), but will likely return it if I cannot >> install >> > Ubuntu at all. I wasn't sure If I should ask for help in the >> ubuntu >> > forums or the Kubuntu forums, so I posted on both The only >> other time I >> > installed Ubuntu (old Dell laptop, Ubuntu, Feisty Fawn), it >> went off >> > without a hitch, so I'm really hoping this an easy problem >> that's simply >> > showing up due to my inexperience. >> > >> > Thanks, >> > Zithras >> > -- >> > This message was sent from Launchpad by the user >> > Zithras (https://launchpad.net/~zithras) >> > using the "Contact this team" link on the Sony Vaio Z-series >> Laptop team page. >> > For more information see >> > https://help.launchpad.net/YourAccount/ContactingPeople >> > >> > _______________________________________________ >> > Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~sony-vaio-z-series >> > Post to : [email protected] >> > Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~sony-vaio-z-series >> > More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp >> > >> >> _______________________________________________ >> Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~sony-vaio-z-series >> Post to : [email protected] >> Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~sony-vaio-z-series >> More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp >> >> >> >> _______________________________________________ >> Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~sony-vaio-z-series >> Post to : [email protected] >> Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~sony-vaio-z-series >> More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp > > > > _______________________________________________ > Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~sony-vaio-z-series > Post to : [email protected] > Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~sony-vaio-z-series > More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp > _______________________________________________ Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~sony-vaio-z-series Post to : [email protected] Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~sony-vaio-z-series More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

