Still trying to dualboot Win 7 and Kubuntu on a Sony VPC-Z1190X laptop. Installed Lucid Lynx in text mode via the alternate CD, grub and Windows 7 are both working fine. Still trying to get Kubuntu running.
Okay I followed the instructions on here: http://questier.com/2010/04/26/ubuntu-10-4-lucid-lynx-on-sony-vaio- vpcz11x9e/ which were VERY helpful, although it took me awhile to figure out how to successfully install the nvidia driver to edit :) including the steps under the 6/5/10 update. When Grub starts, I get the following boot options: Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-21-generic Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-21-generic (recovery mode) Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-21-generic Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-21-generic (recovery mode) Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-20-generic Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-20-generic (recovery mode) Memory test (memtest 86+) Memory test (memtest 86+, serial console 115200) Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda1) Options 1-4 won't boot (black screen on startup), even if I start with a 8.04 live cd first as suggested. (They'll give me a command prompt if I select that option, but no graphics) Option 5 (the 20-generic) will also give a black screen if booted directly, but will give me a command prompt if I replace 'quiet splash' with 'single nomodeset i8042.nopnp' and then boot. If I then enter 'sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start' at the command prompt I will get a KDE login screen, with a working touchpad. However, when I enter my login name and password, and try to login, the screen briefly flashes black, and brings me back to the login screen. Trying to get Kubuntu working on this machine is driving me NUTS (and taking up huge amounts of time)! Windows works great, but I would MUCH rather use Kubuntu as my default OS. Any ideas? Thanks, Zithras (note: the machine does not have the drives in RAID, so this is not an issue here) -- This message was sent from Launchpad by the user Zithras (https://launchpad.net/~zithras) using the "Contact this team" link on the Sony Vaio Z-series Laptop team page. For more information see https://help.launchpad.net/YourAccount/ContactingPeople _______________________________________________ Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~sony-vaio-z-series Post to : [email protected] Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~sony-vaio-z-series More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

