I first installed 9.10 when I got the laptop; and today, I did a full reinstall (not an upgrade) of 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx I used the notes I had from the previous install to speed things up. This time however, I tried to write down everything I did. It should help newcomers start easily. I don't believe I achieved anything new, it's a compendium of everything I found on many different sites and posts.
Here is the complete install (I haven't found a complete walkthrough yet), from scratch (should even work on a brand new machine). It will take you to a working 1920x1080, nvidia accelaterated desktop. Sound works, trackpad works, including tap, drag'n'drop & side-scroll. Sound works, including mic. Suspend doesn't work (nvidia stays off), nor brightness control. For reference, this is a EU VPC Z1: dmidecode -s system-product-name VPCZ11C5E dmidecode -s bios-version R1180C3 # # Notes # . keyboard / trackpad sometimes freeze at bootup. Do a hard reset... # . after every login, do a "sudo -s" # . when screen goes to sleep you may need to Ctrl-Alt-F1 then Ctrl-F7 to get the display back # # # Preparation, for new laptop # Boot windows, update bios Boot windows, resize windows partition # # install # Boot USB 10.04 LTS install reboot # # first boot # Select "2.6.32 recovery", hit 'e' After ro single" add "nomodeset i8042.nopnp" Ctrl-x In recovery menu => "netroot" apt-get update apt-get install openssh-server dkms # # Can be copy-pasted in ssh now # Edit /etc/default/grub GRUB_TIMEOUT=-1 GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="" GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=\"!Windows 2006\" nomodeset i8042.nopnp" # # install recent kernel, oldest kernel # apt-get install linux-image-2.6.31-10-rt wget -nd http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.34-lucid/linux-image-2.6.34-020634-generic_2.6.34-020634_i386.deb wget -nd http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.34-lucid/linux-headers-2.6.34-020634_2.6.34-020634_all.deb wget -nd http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.34-lucid/linux-headers-2.6.34-020634-generic_2.6.34-020634_i386.deb dpkg -i linux-image-2.6.34-020634-generic_2.6.34-020634_i386.deb linux-headers-2.6.34-020634_2.6.34-020634_all.deb linux-headers-2.6.34-020634-generic_2.6.34-020634_i386.deb # # reboot on new kernel, recovery mode # reboot Boot 2.6.34, recovery mode In recovery menu => "netroot" /etc/init.d/ssh restart # # install & config sony-laptop # wget -nd http://www.logic.at/people/preining/software/sony-laptop-zseries-0.9np7.tar.gz cd /usr/src tar xvzf ~/sony-laptop-zseries-0.9np7.tar.gz dkms add -m sony-laptop-zseries -v 0.9np7 dkms build -m sony-laptop-zseries -v 0.9np7 dkms install -m sony-laptop-zseries -v 0.9np7 echo "options sony-laptop speed_stamina=3" > /etc/modprobe.d/sony-laptop.conf # # install nvidia driver # add-apt-repository ppa:nvidia-vdpau/ppa apt-get update apt-get install nvidia-current # get the xorg.conf file on the laptop, I got it from my 9.10 backup cp /mnt/etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/ reboot # # Stardard boot for speed mode # Boot 2.6.31, recovery mode Ctrl-Alt-Del at menu "Speed" is on at reboot Boot 2.6.34 # It works! Here is the xorg.conf I used. Note that it tries to load a custom EDID (from my previous install), but everything seems to work without the file (I forgot to copy it to the fresh install, and still, it works). # nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings # nvidia-settings: version 1.0 (bui...@palmer) Sun Feb 1 20:21:04 UTC 2009 Section "ServerLayout" Identifier "Layout0" Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0 InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard" InputDevice "Mouse0" "AlwaysCore" EndSection Section "Files" EndSection Section "Module" Load "bitmap" Load "dbe" Load "ddc" Load "dri" Load "extmod" Load "freetype" Load "glx" Load "int10" Load "record" Load "type1" Load "v4l" Load "vbe" EndSection Section "ServerFlags" Option "Xinerama" "0" EndSection Section "InputDevice" # generated from default Identifier "Mouse0" Driver "synaptics" ##Driver "mouse" Option "Device" "/dev/psaux" #Option "Protocol" "auto" Option "Protocol" "auto-dev" Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes" Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" Option "SHMConfig" "1" EndSection Section "InputDevice" # generated from default Identifier "Keyboard0" Driver "kbd" EndSection Section "Monitor" # HorizSync source: builtin, VertRefresh source: builtin Identifier "Monitor0" VendorName "Unknown" ModelName "DFP-2" #HorizSync 28.0 - 55.0 #VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0 #Option "DPMS" DisplaySize 290 160 EndSection Section "Monitor" # HorizSync source: builtin, VertRefresh source: builtin Identifier "Monitor1" VendorName "Unknown" ModelName "CRT-0" HorizSync 28.0 - 55.0 VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0 Option "DPMS" EndSection Section "Device" Identifier "Device0" Driver "nvidia" VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation" BoardName "GeForce GT 330M" Option "NoLogo" "True" Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-2,CRT-0" Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-2:/etc/X11/EDID.bin" EndSection Section "Screen" Identifier "Screen0" Device "Device0" Monitor "Monitor0" DefaultDepth 24 Option "TwinView" "1" Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-2" Option "metamodes" "CRT: 1920x1080 +0+0, DFP: 1920x1080 +0+0" SubSection "Display" Depth 24 EndSubSection EndSection Section "DRI" Mode 0666 EndSection
_______________________________________________ Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~sony-vaio-z-series Post to : [email protected] Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~sony-vaio-z-series More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

