As I said in the original post, the janitor script was where I started. On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 23:30, Peter Fern <[email protected]> wrote:
> It's still initializing the Intel card, my hard switch would work for you > here, but first try creating a specific Xorg config for the nVidia card - > are you using the janitor scripts? > > > On 31/05/10 14:13, Ben Klausner wrote: > > Well my last boot was with the arguments: > > GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”i915.modeset=1″ > > which I don't think is what you want. The previous boot was with no args > for that variable. The file for that is too big to append to a list, so I've > put a copy here <http://www.frijoles.net/Xorg.0.log.old.gz> temporarily. > > On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 20:49, Peter Fern <[email protected]> wrote: > >> What does /var/log/Xorg.0.log say? >> >> On 31/05/10 13:21, Ben Klausner wrote: >> >> It's a VGN-Z530N, which was one of the earliest Z series. I've run W7 on >> it, but don't know if it is officially W7 supporting. >> >> That said, my problem is not what you describe in the blog post. I get a >> readable display, but can't start X. >> >> On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 16:34, Peter Fern <[email protected]> wrote: >> >>> If you have a Win7 supporting BIOS, that doesn't work any more... is this >>> a VPC, or VGN? For VGNs, you can read my post here: >>> >>> >>> http://0xc0dedbad.com/blog/2010/01/30/dual-boot-linux-and-windows-7-on-sony-vaio-z/ >>> >>> >>> On 31/05/10 05:47, Ben Klausner wrote: >>> >>> Running Ubuntu 10.04 on a Z530N. Ran the janitor script, which seemed >>> to be successful. Made sure that /etc/default/grub had the line: >>> >>> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=\\\"!Windows 2006\\\"" >>> >>> Rebooted a couple of times, and noticed that the boot messages came up in >>> a much smaller font than before, presumably because the screen was at a >>> higher res setting. >>> >>> But instead of the login splash, I get an error "can't open display", and >>> get dumped to the command line! Put GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX back the way it was, >>> rebooted twice (why does it take two boots?), and got back where I was, with >>> graphics, but locked in STAMINA mode. >>> >>> Suggestions? >>> >>> >>> _______________________________________________ >>> Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~sony-vaio-z-series >>> <https://launchpad.net/%7Esony-vaio-z-series> >>> >>> Post to : [email protected] >>> Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~sony-vaio-z-series >>> <https://launchpad.net/%7Esony-vaio-z-series> >>> More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp >>> >>> >>> >>> _______________________________________________ >>> Mailing list: >>> https://launchpad.net/~sony-vaio-z-series<https://launchpad.net/%7Esony-vaio-z-series> >>> Post to : [email protected] >>> Unsubscribe : >>> https://launchpad.net/~sony-vaio-z-series<https://launchpad.net/%7Esony-vaio-z-series> >>> More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp >>> >>> >> >> > > > _______________________________________________ > Mailing list: > https://launchpad.net/~sony-vaio-z-series<https://launchpad.net/%7Esony-vaio-z-series> > Post to : [email protected] > Unsubscribe : > https://launchpad.net/~sony-vaio-z-series<https://launchpad.net/%7Esony-vaio-z-series> > More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp > >
_______________________________________________ Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~sony-vaio-z-series Post to : [email protected] Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~sony-vaio-z-series More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

