Not sure if this interests anyone but I found the auto display backlight changes annoying. If I want it dimmer or bighter I'll set it as such. I found that also the display would feed back into the ambient light sensor and that the color of what you were working with would change things. If you opened a dark document the brightness would increase but if you opened up a white word processor or something the brightness would decrease. If you try watching a movie in a dark room it was constantly adjusting based on the content of the display.
However I do find that I really like the keyboard automatically doing its thing. I've modified the sony-acpid code to put in the functionality that allows you to still use the manual brightness up/down buttons but disables the ambient light scaling of the display backlight if anyone is interested I'll see about making a patch file or just providing the code. Its a very simple change... ~Brett On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 3:50 AM, Wouter van der Graaf <[email protected]> wrote: > Yeah, I placed the compiled binary in /usr/sbin and referenced it in the > startup applications setting. > > Thanks for mentioning this code in the first place. It's good to check out > other Vaio groups for these gems. > > W > > On di 25 okt 2011 12:03:31 CEST, Craig S. Blackie wrote: >> >> Yes thank you, all working again as I had it in Natty, be sure to run it >> as a startup application too. >> >> ----- Original message ----- >> > Yes! I made it compile! The location of the -lm parameter is wrong. It >> > should be at the end of the gcc command. Compiled and running the >> > ambient light sensor daemon on my Vaio Z13. If I place my finger on the >> > sensor, the screen darkens and the keyboard lights up! Very cool to >> > have this functionality in Linux. I will contact the developer about >> > this. >> > >> > Craig, can you confirm that this works for you as well? >> > >> > W >> > >> > On wo 19 okt 2011 12:26:52 CEST, Wouter van der Graaf wrote: >> > > Same errors here. Upgraded to Ubuntu Oneiric recently. I'm not >> > > familiar with C programming and compiling, so don't know where to >> > > look. I did try searching the web, but found nothing helpful. Most >> > > issues found on the Net are solved with the -lm parameter, but this is >> > > something different. Maybe something changed recently in the default >> > > Ubuntu toolchain? >> > > >> > > Anyone? >> > > >> > > Thanks in advance, >> > > >> > > Wouter >> > > >> > > >> > > Op 10-10-11 04:14, Craig S. Blackie schreef: >> > > > Just done a fresh install of Ubuntu and cannot get this to compile >> > > > now, anyone else able to? >> > > > >> > > > >> > > > csb@csb-laptop <mailto:csb@csb-laptop>:~/sony-acpid$ ./compile >> > > > /tmp/ccGy8D49.o: In function `handle_acpi_events': >> > > > acpi_funcs.c:(.text+0x102): undefined reference to `log' >> > > > acpi_funcs.c:(.text+0x127): undefined reference to `log' >> > > > acpi_funcs.c:(.text+0x151): undefined reference to `pow' >> > > > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status >> > > > csb@csb-laptop <mailto:csb@csb-laptop>:~/sony-acpid$ >> > > > >> > > > >> > > > >> > > > On 27/07/11 00:54, craigsblackie wrote: >> > > > > Using the latest sony-laptop kernel module posted here with >> > > > > Sony-Acpid, I was able to get the keyboard and screen to >> > > > > automatically dim the screen and enable the kbd light when ambient >> > > > > light dropped. >> > > > > >> > > > > >> > > > > http://code.google.com/p/vaio-f11-linux/wiki/AutoDimmingBacklightDaemon >> > > > > >> > > > > Works just like Windows now. Hope this is useful to some. >> > > > > >> > > > > Craig >> > > > >> > > > >> > > > _______________________________________________ >> > > > Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~sony-vaio-z-series >> > > > Post to : [email protected] >> > > > <mailto:[email protected]> >> > > > Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~sony-vaio-z-series >> > > > More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp >> > > >> > > >> > >> > >> > >> > -- >> > Wouter van der Graaf >> > entreprogrammeur and senior web developer >> > >> > d y n o r a >> > web developers ~ both ends technology, interaction and aesthetics >> > >> > +31 (0)6 2893 0615 | [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> >> > >> > Burg. de Bruïnelaan 95 | 3331 AC Zwijndrecht | NL >> > +31 (0)78 843 3139 | [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> | >> > www.dynora.nl <http://www.dynora.nl> >> > >> > > > > -- > Wouter van der Graaf > entreprogrammeur and senior web developer > > d y n o r a > web developers ~ both ends technology, interaction and aesthetics > > +31 (0)6 2893 0615 | [email protected] > > Burg. de Bruïnelaan 95 | 3331 AC Zwijndrecht | NL > +31 (0)78 843 3139 | [email protected] | www.dynora.nl > > > _______________________________________________ > Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~sony-vaio-z-series > Post to : [email protected] > Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~sony-vaio-z-series > More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp > _______________________________________________ Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~sony-vaio-z-series Post to : [email protected] Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~sony-vaio-z-series More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

