<http://www.hina.hr/nws-bin/genews.cgi?TOP=hot&NID=ehot/politika/H9219101.4y
c>
http://www.hina.hr/nws-bin/genews.cgi?TOP=hot&NID=ehot/politika/H9219101.4yc

CROATIAN, SERBIAN PRESIDENTS PAY TRIBUTE TO TESLA IN NEW YORK

NEW YORK, Sept 21 (Hina) - The Presidents of Croatia and Serbia, Stjepan
Mesic and Boris Tadic, in New York on Thursday laid a wreath and flowers in
front of a memorial site honouring a great Croatian scientist of Serb
nationality, Nikola Tesla, and visited his room in the New Yorker hotel
where Tesla lived for ten years and where he died on 7 January 1943
In front of Tesla's memorial plaque on the outside wall of the hotel New
Yorker, the two presidents laid a wreath decorated with Croatian and Serbian
flags and a note reading "In memory of a great scientist had not forgotten
his Homeland (Mesic's part of the text) or his people, but who belonged to
the entire world (Tadic's part)".

Mesic and Tadic, who are taking part in the 61th session of the UN General
Assembly in New York, expressed satisfaction with the fact that their paid
tribute to Tesla together visited the room that he died in at the age of 87.

"I am glad that the time has come for me and the Serbian president to lay a
wreath and flowers together at the memorial plaque and visit the premises
that Tesla lived in," Mesic said.

Serbian president Tadic also expressed satisfaction with the fact that he
and Mesic "paid tribute to the man from our region who made most
discoveries.

The year 2006 is being marked across the world as the year of Nikola Tesla.

On Thursday Mesic also received representatives of prominent US Jewish
organisations B'Nai B'Rith and Anti-Defamation League who congratulated
Mesic on his Raoul Wallenberg award that was presented to him on Wednesday.

"This award is being awarded to those who deserve most credits and we are
indeed pleased that this year the award was awarded to you," representatives
of B'Nai B'Rith and Anti-Defamation League told Mesic.

The meeting also focused on the restitution of the Jewish property in
Croatia.

Speaking about the Holocaust, Mesic said it was important that the education
system and school books provide real and true information about the
holocaust and history. He added there was no anti-Semitism in Croatia,
adding that the Jewish and Islamic communities in the country were
cooperating well.

(Hina) its

21.09.2006. 22:40 MET

<*> Your email settings: