An Apology for Srebrenica

For most of our history interethnic and faith-based pluralism was the norm in
the Western Balkans.

By BORIS TADIC
<http://online.wsj.com/search/term.html?KEYWORDS=BORIS+TADIC&bylinesearch=true>

The massacre of thousands of Bosnian Musli Sendms in the town of Srebrenica in
July 1995 constituted one of the most tragic chapters of the brutal Yugoslav
civil wars of the 1990s. In order to show that Serbia mourns for all the
victims, I traveled to Srebrenica a year after I was first elected president of
Serbia, to stand with the survivors and bow to victims on the 10th anniversary
of that terrible atrocity.
This opened up a fierce national debate on the misdeeds of the Milosevic
regime. It also increased regional awareness of the critical importance of
reconciliation, a core European value my country wholeheartedly embraced
following the restoration of Serbian democracy on Oct. 5, 2000.
For us, reconciliation is seen as a moral imperative to tell the truth-the
unadorned, factual, horrible truth of the bloodshed that must never return to
our lands. We also understand it as being a categorical rejection of the
individuals who falsely claimed to act in our name, and a repudiation of the
policies that promoted violence and hatred.
Finally, reconciliation contributes to restoring to prominence the fact that
for most of our shared history, going back many hundreds of years, interethnic
and faith-based pluralism was the norm in the Western Balkans. Our similarities
far outweighed our differences-as they still do-and while discrimination was
not unheard of, it was far from rampant. In short, reconciliation helps us take
back our past from the nefarious fear-mongers still lurking in our midst.
It is against this backdrop that the Serbian parliament this March 30 adopted a
historic declaration on Srebrenica that unequivocally condemned the war crimes
that took place there. The declaration is the product of my country's absolute
dedication to restore trust and promote friendship and understanding between
two proud nations in our region and, more broadly, two great religious
traditions present throughout our increasingly interdependent world. As such,
this unprecedented document-the first of its kind in the Western
Balkans-extends profound condolences and sincere apologies to the families of
the Bosnian Muslim victims.
Moreover, it reaffirms full support for the efforts of the Serbian government
to successfully complete its cooperation with the International Criminal
Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia, which includes locating, arresting and
extraditing the Bosnian Serb wartime commander who has been indicted for his
role in Srebrenica, Gen. Ratko Mladic.
The declaration also underlines Serbia's commitment to respect the territorial
integrity and sovereignty of Bosnia and Herzegovina. We hope it will help
facilitate a process for its three constituent peoples to come together in
agreement on necessary internal reforms.
Silence is no longer acceptable, and neither is hiding behind outdated wartime
rhetoric. The era of accountability in our part of the world has begun, and it
is here to stay. We have demonstrated the courage to be the first to apologize
for heinous atrocities that were committed by all sides in the Yugoslav civil
wars. Accepting one's share of responsibility for what happened in the past is
an integral part of the democratic consolidation of every country in our
neighborhood. This is an indispensable step in the advancement of sustainable
peace and stability in the Western Balkans.
By taking the lead in regional reconciliation, Serbia has opened the door for
others to step through, in the hope that we can together build a prosperous and
inclusive future as members of the European Union-our central strategic
priority. This is our vision, and we will see it through, come what may.
Mr. Tadic is the president of the Republic of Serbia.
Printed in The Wall Street Journal Europe, page 13

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303695604575182284149946008.html?KEYWORDS=BORIS+TADIC