Belgrade not to change resolution because of Brussels

Marija Maleš | 19. 08. 2010. - 00:02h | Foto: Z. Raš | Komentara: 0
<http://english.blic.rs/News/6800/Belgrade-not-to-change-resolution-because-of-Brussels/komentari>

Not a word of Serbian resolution over Kosovo that shall be debated about by the
UN General Assembly in September, is going to be changed, ‘Blic’ learns from a
top source of the ruling coalition. ‘It has been decided so at the highest
level in spite of warnings from Brussels and increasingly obvious divisions
within the ruling coalition over the resolution’, our source says.

Countries of the ‘Quinta’ warned Belgrade through diplomatic channels that
Serbian resolution if not changed, shall slow down the process of integration
of Serbia with the EU. This news caused disputes within the ruling coalition.

According to our source, the SPO, G17 Plus and a part of the DS are on one side
supporting compromise and ‘moderation’ of the resolution. On the other side
there are official DS and SPS. They insist that there shall be no changes in
the resolution. According to our source that is inclined to compromise, the
democrats managed to calm down tensions by using formula ‘we agree that we do
not agree’. This has prevented possible splitting within the coalition.

Diplomatic sources in Brussels say that after opinion by the International
Court of Justice the patience and understanding for the Serbian policy towards
Kosovo is disappearing.

Serbian Deputy Prime Minister in charge of European integration Bozidar Djelic
says that a small number of very influential countries of the EU have decided
to make pressure on Serbia shortly before the debate at the UN General Assembly
over the status of Kosovo and Serbian resolution about its southern province.
According to Djelic the instrument of pressure is Serbian candidacy for the EU
membership.

He expects that those intending to make pressure on our country shall realize
soon that such policy is giving no results. ‘On the other hand, as a democratic
country we have the right to defend our territorial integrity and there is no
reason that we are the only country which is the UN member whose case shall be
used for justification of unilateral secession. I am expecting that in several
weeks or a month we shall get much more understanding even from those trying to
make pressure on us. Belgrade is pursuing a clear policy that consensus between
Belgrade and Pristina is the only possible way to re-establish European unity
over Kosovo issue’, Djelic said.

Jovan Ilic, member of the Forum for international relations warns, however,
that Serbia might pay a high price should it fail to undertake certain steps
that would at least partially satisfy the EU regarding the text of the
resolution until the session of the UN General Assembly. ‘Brussels is warning
seriously that if such Serbian resolution is adopted at the UN that shall not
only slow down but delay taking of Serbian candidacy for the EU membership into
consideration’, Ilic says.

Serbian Foreign Minister Vuk Jeremic lobbied for Serbian resolution on Kosovo
two weeks at the UN in New York. He had bilateral meeting with representatives
of 50 countries. As we learn Kosovo President Fatmir Sejdiju had meeting with
them, too. According to Ilic the results of Serbian diplomatic activities are
reflected the best in the fact that there has been no new case of recognition
of Kosovo after announcement of opinion by the ICJ.

http://english.blic.rs/News/6800/Belgrade-not-to-change-resolution-because-of-Brussels

Одговори путем е-поште