Living With Less. A Lot Less.

Maxwell Holyoke-Hirsch

By GRAHAM HILL

Published: March 9, 2013 332 Comments

I LIVE in a 420-square-foot studio. I sleep in a bed that folds down
from the wall. I have six dress shirts. I have 10 shallow bowls that I
use for salads and main dishes. When people come over for dinner, I
pull out my extendable dining room table. I don’t have a single CD or
DVD and I have 10 percent of the books I once did.

I have come a long way from the life I had in the late ’90s, when,
flush with cash from an Internet start-up sale, I had a giant house
crammed with stuff — electronics and cars and appliances and gadgets.

Somehow this stuff ended up running my life, or a lot of it; the
things I consumed ended up consuming me. My circumstances are unusual
(not everyone gets an Internet windfall before turning 30), but my
relationship with material things isn’t.

We live in a world of surfeit stuff, of big-box stores and 24-hour
online shopping opportunities. Members of every socioeconomic bracket
can and do deluge themselves with products.

There isn’t any indication that any of these things makes anyone any
happier; in fact it seems the reverse may be true.

For me, it took 15 years, a great love and a lot of travel to get rid
of all the inessential things I had collected and live a bigger,
better, richer life with less.

It started in 1998 in Seattle, when my partner and I sold our Internet
consultancy company, Sitewerks, for more money than I thought I’d earn
in a lifetime.

To celebrate, I bought a four-story, 3,600-square-foot,
turn-of-the-century house in Seattle’s happening Capitol Hill
neighborhood and, in a frenzy of consumption, bought a brand-new
sectional couch (my first ever), a pair of $300 sunglasses, a ton of
gadgets, like an Audible.com MobilePlayer (one of the first portable
digital music players) and an audiophile-worthy five-disc CD player.
And, of course, a black turbocharged Volvo. With a remote starter!

I was working hard for Sitewerks’ new parent company, Bowne, and
didn’t have the time to finish getting everything I needed for my
house. So I hired a guy named Seven, who said he had been Courtney
Love’s assistant, to be my personal shopper. He went to furniture,
appliance and electronics stores and took Polaroids of things he
thought I might like to fill the house; I’d shuffle through the
pictures and proceed on a virtual shopping spree.

My success and the things it bought quickly changed from novel to
normal. Soon I was numb to it all. The new Nokia phone didn’t excite
me or satisfy me. It didn’t take long before I started to wonder why
my theoretically upgraded life didn’t feel any better and why I felt
more anxious than before.

My life was unnecessarily complicated. There were lawns to mow,
gutters to clear, floors to vacuum, roommates to manage (it seemed
nuts to have such a big, empty house), a car to insure, wash, refuel,
repair and register and tech to set up and keep working. To top it all
off, I had to keep Seven busy. And really, a personal shopper? Who had
I become? My house and my things were my new employers for a job I had
never applied for.

It got worse. Soon after we sold our company, I moved east to work in
Bowne’s office in New York, where I rented a 1,900-square-foot SoHo
loft that befit my station as a tech entrepreneur. The new pad needed
furniture, housewares, electronics, etc. — which took more time and
energy to manage.

AND because the place was so big, I felt obliged to get roommates —
who required more time, more energy, to manage. I still had the
Seattle house, so I found myself worrying about two homes. When I
decided to stay in New York, it cost a fortune and took months of
cross-country trips — and big headaches — to close on the Seattle
house and get rid of the all of the things inside.

I’m lucky, obviously; not everyone gets a windfall from a tech
start-up sale. But I’m not the only one whose life is cluttered with
excess belongings.

In a study published last year titled “Life at Home in the
Twenty-First Century,” researchers at U.C.L.A. observed 32
middle-class Los Angeles families and found that all of the mothers’
stress hormones spiked during the time they spent dealing with their
belongings. Seventy-five percent of the families involved in the study
couldn’t park their cars in their garages because they were too jammed
with things.

Our fondness for stuff affects almost every aspect of our lives.
Housing size, for example, has ballooned in the last 60 years. The
average size of a new American home in 1950 was 983 square feet; by
2011, the average new home was 2,480 square feet. And those figures
don’t provide a full picture. In 1950, an average of 3.37 people lived
in each American home; in 2011, that number had shrunk to 2.6 people.
This means that we take up more than three times the amount of space
per capita than we did 60 years ago.

Apparently our supersize homes don’t provide space enough for all our
possessions, as is evidenced by our country’s $22 billion personal
storage industry.

What exactly are we storing away in the boxes we cart from place to
place? Much of what Americans consume doesn’t even find its way into
boxes or storage spaces, but winds up in the garbage.

The Natural Resources Defense Council reports, for example, that 40
percent of the food Americans buy finds its way into the trash.

Enormous consumption has global, environmental and social
consequences. For at least 335 consecutive months, the average
temperature of the globe has exceeded the average for the 20th
century. As a recent report for Congress explained, this temperature
increase, as well as acidifying oceans, melting glaciers and Arctic
Sea ice are “primarily driven by human activity.” Many experts believe
consumerism and all that it entails — from the extraction of resources
to manufacturing to waste disposal — plays a big part in pushing our
planet to the brink. And as we saw with Foxconn and the recent Beijing
smog scare, many of the affordable products we buy depend on cheap,
often exploitive overseas labor and lax environmental regulations.

Does all this endless consumption result in measurably increased happiness?

In a recent study, the Northwestern University psychologist Galen V.
Bodenhausen linked consumption with aberrant, antisocial behavior.
Professor Bodenhausen found that “Irrespective of personality, in
situations that activate a consumer mind-set, people show the same
sorts of problematic patterns in well-being, including negative affect
and social disengagement.” Though American consumer activity has
increased substantially since the 1950s, happiness levels have
flat-lined.

I DON’T know that the gadgets I was collecting in my loft were part of
an aberrant or antisocial behavior plan during the first months I
lived in SoHo. But I was just going along, starting some start-ups
that never quite started up when I met Olga, an Andorran beauty, and
fell hard. My relationship with stuff quickly came apart.

I followed her to Barcelona when her visa expired and we lived in a
tiny flat, totally content and in love before we realized that nothing
was holding us in Spain. We packed a few clothes, some toiletries and
a couple of laptops and hit the road. We lived in Bangkok, Buenos
Aires and Toronto with many stops in between.

A compulsive entrepreneur, I worked all the time and started new
companies from an office that fit in my solar backpack. I created some
do-gooder companies like We Are Happy to Serve You, which makes a
reusable, ceramic version of the iconic New York City Anthora coffee
cup and TreeHugger.com, an environmental design blog that I later sold
to Discovery Communications. My life was full of love and adventure
and work I cared about. I felt free and I didn’t miss the car and
gadgets and house; instead I felt as if I had quit a dead-end job.

The relationship with Olga eventually ended, but my life never looked
the same. I live smaller and travel lighter. I have more time and
money. Aside from my travel habit — which I try to keep in check by
minimizing trips, combining trips and purchasing carbon offsets — I
feel better that my carbon footprint is significantly smaller than in
my previous supersized life.

Intuitively, we know that the best stuff in life isn’t stuff at all,
and that relationships, experiences and meaningful work are the
staples of a happy life.

I like material things as much as anyone. I studied product design in
school. I’m into gadgets, clothing and all kinds of things. But my
experiences show that after a certain point, material objects have a
tendency to crowd out the emotional needs they are meant to support.

I wouldn’t trade a second spent wandering the streets of Bangkok with
Olga for anything I’ve owned. Often, material objects take up mental
as well as physical space.

I’m still a serial entrepreneur, and my latest venture is to design
thoughtfully constructed small homes that support our lives, not the
other way around. Like the 420-square-foot space I live in, the houses
I design contain less stuff and make it easier for owners to live
within their means and to limit their environmental footprint. My
apartment sleeps four people comfortably; I frequently have dinner
parties for 12. My space is well-built, affordable and as functional
as living spaces twice the size. As the guy who started
TreeHugger.com, I sleep better knowing I’m not using more resources
than I need. I have less — and enjoy more.

My space is small. My life is big.

Graham Hill is the founder of LifeEdited.com and TreeHugger.com.

A version of this op-ed appeared in print on March 10, 2013, on page
SR1 of the New York edition with the headline: Living With Less. A Lot
Less..

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"South Sudan Info - The Kob" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply via email to