Sudan’s VP Taha accuses officials in Juba of pursuing ‘New Sudan’ plan


May 15, 2013 (KHARTOUM) – Sudan’s First Vice President Ali Osman
Mohamed Taha said the ongoing war in Abu-Kershola and other parts of
the country is a foreign plot aimed at further balkanizing Sudan
calling it the "second chapter" following the south’s separation in
July 2011.
Sudanese Vice President Ali Osman Taha (ASHRAF SHAZLY/AFP/Getty Images)
Taha said that there are circles within South Sudan government which
is supportive of this scheme in order to implement the strategy of the
"New Sudan" irrespective of whether the governing party in Khartoum is
the National Congress Party (NCP) or another party.

Khartoum says that "New Sudan" scheme, that was the motto of Sudan
People Liberation Movement (SPLM) at its onset in 1983, aims at making
Sudan a secular non-Arab state.

The 1st VP went on to say that the ongoing war in the states of North
and South Kordofan is not about race but is waged by "gangs" and
"mercenaries" who are incited by external parties.

Taha pointed out that the people of these regions are victims of this
war and are the most affected by it and warned that the Sudanese army
is the "red line".

This week the Sudanese government claimed that Juba provided backing
to Sudan Revolutionary Front (SRF) which attacked North Kordofan’s
second largest town of Um Rawaba last month.

Sudan’s National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS) said in a
statement that Juba provided SRF rebels with weapons, ammunition,
vehicles, housing and medical care.

‘FREEDOM’

Taha went on talk about the internal front and underscored the need to
allow more freedoms for its citizens.

"The government should allow freedoms under the circumstance quo", the
Sudanese official said and added he instructed that pre-publication
censorship be lifted immediately.

But an editor at a Khartoum newspaper told Sudan Tribune said that
security agents banned them from publishing this portion of Taha’s
remarks.

Taha called on state organs to provide media outlets with more
information than it currently does to help the army in its ongoing
battle.

He stressed that the government is working hard to fulfill its
citizens’ needs despite the difficult circumstances facing the
country.

Taha expressed sympathy with calls for dismissing some government
ministers but said that should happen after bypassing the current
circumstances so that people are not drawn into side battles.

(ST)

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"South Sudan Info - The Kob" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply via email to