Trial of Sudan’s former intelligence director postponed - lawyer

May 16, 2013 (KHARTOUM) – The trial of Sudan’s former director of the
National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS) Salah Gosh has been
postponed until next Monday, one his lawyers said today.
Salah Gosh former advisor to Sudanese President (Photo Getty)
Nabil Adeeb, a member of Gosh’s defense team, said he expects his
client to be released by the second hearing due to lack of evidence
implicating him in an alleged coup attempt foiled last year by
Sudanese authorities.

He also dismissed rumours which circulated in the capital that Gosh
has escaped prison.

Sources told Sudan Tribune that the prosecution was unable to
transport Gosh and three of his aides to the courtroom as there were
no available vehicles to transport them.

Gosh was one of the key figures arrested in connection with the coup
attempt which also included military figures that were later convicted
but released under a presidential amnesty for some and commuting for
others.

But the once-powerful figure has not been a beneficiary of the amnesty
as he has yet to stand trial amid reports that authorities have failed
to come up with sufficient evidence to prosecute him.

Sources say that authorities are reluctant to release him given the
secrets he holds on the regime during his time as spy chief.

Gosh’s arrest marked the downfall of the once powerful spy chief who
is better known for his deep cooperation with the United States on
counter-terrorism following September 2001 attacks in Washington and
New York.

He was surprisingly dismissed from his position in 2009 before being
appointed as a presidential adviser for security.

In 2011 he was abruptly sacked by president Bashir from the position
following an imbroglio between him and the powerful presidential
assistant Nafie Ali Nafie over dialogue with opposition parties. He
was later stripped of his position within the NCP and only maintained
his seat in the Sudanese parliament.

The Sudanese parliament recently revoked Gosh’s parliamentary immunity
to allow for his prosecution.

(ST)

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"South Sudan Info - The Kob" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply via email to