S. Sudan warns security forces, militias over violence against civilians
May 17, 2013 (JUBA) – South Sudan president, Salva Kiir has warned armed rebel groups and “ill-disciplined” elements within the regular security forces to halt violence against innocent civilians in the country. South Sudan president Salva Kiir (Reuters) The president’s warning comes in the wake of the growing violence, largely blamed on armed rebel groups, against civilians in its Jonglei state and other parts of the country. “The Government will not tolerate any violence against its citizens or looting of any property, whether belonging to citizens or humanitarian agencies,” partly reads a strongly-worded statement from the presidency. Kiir, in the 17 May statement, strongly warned that members of the country’s security forces engaged in violent acts will be held accountable, if implicated. Last week, rouge elements within the army staged road blocks in Bor, the Jonglei state capital and allegedly beat up civilians, in protest over delayed salary payments. The president, however, expressed dismay over continued distabilisation of the country and terrorising of civilians by armed militias, despite several amnesty offers for them to surrender. He said his government was determined, at all costs, to take all the necessary steps to achieve peace and stability in the young nation. Kiir, in the statement, particularly talks about the murder of Brig. Gen. Kolor Pino, a senior Ministry of Wildlife official and five other officers, including three rangers and two police officers, early this month. He blamed their killing in cold blood on “rouge” elements within the country’s security forces. “Those responsible for this reprehensive crime will be held accountable,” warned the president, who described the fallen Brig. Gen Pino as a “dedicated soldier and nationalist”, whom he personally recruited and trained, prior to his appointment to the position. Since it independence, almost two year ago, South Sudan remains largely unstable, with tribal conflicts, rebel attacks and inter-clan clashes, seen as key in the vicious cycle of violence. Violence, the United Nations said, could displace up to 200,000 people in the country, this year alone. (ST) -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "South Sudan Info - The Kob" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected]. To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
