Swiss gov’t pledges CHF15m after U.N famine appeal

    Article
    Comments (0)

email Email
print Print
pdfSave
separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

António Guterres (UN Photo)

February 25, 2017 (JUBA) - The Swiss government announced on Friday
that it would contribute CHF15 million ($14.9m) to address the famine
crisis affecting war-torn South Sudan, as well at food shortages in
Somalia, Nigeria and Yemen.

The Swiss funds, it said in a statement, will be distributed among
various humanitarian initiatives and organisations working in the
affected regions where 20 million people stand to suffer if nothing is
done soon.

"Switzerland is calling for rapid mobilisation of aid. Some 100,000
people are already experiencing famine in South Sudan and other
countries in the region are also at risk,” the Swiss Foreign Minister
Didier Burkhalter said in a statement.

The donation comes days after the Secretary-General of the United
Nations, António Guterres, appealed to countries to release funds for
tackling famine.

“One of the biggest obstacles we face now is funding. Humanitarian
operations in these four countries require more than $5.6 billion this
year. We need at least $4.4 billion by the end of March to avert a
catastrophe,” said Guterres.

So far, the UN said it has received commitments worth $90 million and
this, Guterres stressed, adds up to only around two cents for every
dollar needed.

South Sudan is reportedly a priority for the Swiss and humanitarian
actions there will be coordinated by the Swiss Agency for Development
and Cooperation.

An estimated 3.5 million people have been displaced by conflict in the
country and 5 million are in urgent need of food due to conflict and
economic instability.
Switzerland is said to have budgeted CHF20 million in aid for South
Sudan this year.

(ST)

-- 
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/southsudankob
View this message at 
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/southsudankob/topic-id/message-id
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"South Sudan Info - The Kob" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/SouthSudanKob.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/SouthSudanKob/CAJb14oq0OkWw4uenaRTNmoNGiB-pwynCWXmmYQ4Pho9wNWSWKw%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to