WFP registers famine-affected families Hellen Achayo | February 27, 2017 | 1:09 pm
Thousands register for food aid in famine-struck Leer County - Feb 27, 2017|UNMISS photo The World Food Program says it has started registration of families in areas affected by famine for distribution of food.Last week, the National Bureau of Statistics and the United Nations agenciesdeclared famine in parts of the country, especially in the former Unity State.They said 100,000 people are facing starvation in the area. The Communications Officer of the WFP, George Fominyen, says once the exercise is completed, the agency will start the distribution of food and nutrition assistance.He told Eye Radio that the agency is expecting to assist the needy people in Leer and Thonyor in the former Unity State.“And the plan is to distribute food and nutrition to about 71 thousand people over the coming week,” Mr Fominyen said.Several countries including Norway, Switzerland and the UK have pledged to provide funds to tackle the famine. -- To post to this group, send email to [email protected] To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected] Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/southsudankob View this message at https://groups.google.com/d/msg/southsudankob/topic-id/message-id For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "South Sudan Info - The Kob" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected]. To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/SouthSudanKob. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/SouthSudanKob/CAJb14orxUToJQxL8Z6awJ4V5wZM3yv-wXOOVN6ETsxoLhtY%2BzQ%40mail.gmail.com. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
