Nearly 30 aid workers evacuated from Unity amid famine

Memoscar Lasuba | February 28, 2017 | 1:04 pm

Thousands register for food aid in famine-struck Leer County - Feb 27,
2017|UNMISS photo

The United Nations says 28 aid workers have been relocated from former
Unity State due to insecurity.In a statement issued this afternoon, the
Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs says the humanitarians
were in Mayendit, which is one of the two counties affected by famine.

OCHA says the workers left the area over the weekend.In the same statement,
OCHA says other aid workers were denied access to some locations in Lainya
town, Yei River State.

In his address during the opening of the second session of the Transitional
NationalLegislative Assembly last week, President Salva Kiir said
humanitarian agencies would have unhindered access to those in need of
relief assistance.

But OCHA says many people in need of assistance in the aforementioned areas
have not been reached for months.“The people of South Sudan are suffering
beyond measure. The famine that was declared last week represents only the
most extreme tip of the iceberg of needs in this country,” said Eugene
Owusu, Humanitarian Coordinator.“To avert further catastrophe, it is
imperative that humanitarians are able to act swiftly and robustly. I
implore all parties to this conflict to uphold their responsibilities under
international humanitarian law, place the plight of the people first, give
aid workers unfettered access, and protect civilians.”

“Vague” statement

For its part, the SPLA spokesperson says he has not received reports of
insecurity in Mayendit over the past few days.“It is vague. What kind of
insecurity are they experiencing such that they were forced to withdraw
their workers? And who is causing that insecurity in the area?” Brig Ruai
asked.He told Eye Radio that the OCHA report should have stated which of
the parties hindered access in Lainya.“If you’re talking of being denied
access to a certain area and you don’t say who denied you access, it will
be difficult for me,” he added.

Mr Owusu has called on all the parties to give access to aid workers under
international law.According to the UN, since December 2013, about 3.4
million people have been displaced, including nearly 1.9 million people who
have been internally displaced and about 1.5 million who have fled as
refugees to neighboring countries.

-- 
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/southsudankob
View this message at 
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/southsudankob/topic-id/message-id
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"South Sudan Info - The Kob" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/SouthSudanKob.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/SouthSudanKob/CAJb14ormzL9wdKLhU1knaW9%2B2CQBZ0GqjN8S67838Mtregt3GA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to