Ex-editor says survived attack by soldiers in Juba

File photo: Nhial Bol

Nhial Bol Aken, a former newspaper chief editor in Juba claimed to have
survived an attempted attack by two gunmen who allegedly intended to kill
him on Saturday.

Aken said in a statement that two soldiers entered his house at Thongpiny
residential area on Saturday morning, forcing him to hide in the room
before policemen guarding a commercial bank and neighbours
intervened.“Soldiers attacked me in my house in Thongpiny at 2:00 am …but
with help of my son, I managed to escape what I considered a coordinated
attack against my life,” he said.“First, they pulled the main gate, entered
the compound and then started calling me by name, Nhial where are you? Then
I asked them who are you, one of them responded, I am Majak and we are
soldiers, come out, we want you then I looked out and I saw one of them
with AK-47, wearing Tiger uniforms,” he explained.

Nhial added, “from there I went hiding inside the room then I asked my son
Bol to use internal exit from inside so that he mobilizes the neighbours
and the police protecting KCB Bank on the side of the road and within 20
minutes, two neighbours from the eastern side informed me via phone call
that they are on the roadside and that I should not attempt to come to
open.”

The former editor pointed out that the two soldiers decided to run away
after neighbours came out, but one of them was caught and disarmed.The
former journalist pointed out that he opened a criminal case with the
police against the two soldiers who claim to be member of the presidential
guards.

Aken, who was a vocal editor-in-chief of an independent The Citizen
newspaper, quit journalism in 2015, citing personal security and safety
concern in Juba.

---
"South Sudan Info - The Kob" group.
to southsudankob+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.