Former South Sudan army chief says no regrets despite sanctions

    Article
    Comments (9)

email Email
print Print
pdfSave
separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

September 12, 2017 (JUBA) - The former South Sudanese army chief of
staff General Paul Malong Awan said Tuesday he has no regrets for the
role he played in the four-year conflict resulting in him being put on
a watch list by the United States, saying he was defending the
Constitution and the interest of the country.

JPEG - 41.5 kb
SPLA Chief of General Staff, Gen. Paul Malong Awan (C) is visiting his
farms in his homeland of Warawar in Aweil East State on 7 May 2016
(Photo Moses Lomayat)

On the 6 September, the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC)of the
U.S. Treasury Department blacklisted Awan and two other government
officials for their alleged role in undermining peace and stability in
South Sudan.

General Awan, a former ally of President Salva Kiir told Sudan Tribune
on Tuesday he was executing his duties in accordance with the
Constitution and the will of the people of South Sudan.

“Yes, I was the chief of staff and the duties of the chief of staff
are in the SPLA act, which is consistent and subordinate to the
Constitution. I was, therefore, executing my duties as any other chief
of staff do in other countries. If this is what I am blamed for, then
I have no regrets. I was doing the right thing, I know. The
Constitution is there; check what the duties of the chief of staff are
and tell me,” said Awan.

The OFAC blamed Awan for his role in the eruption of the conflict in
December 2013 saying his action led to "the indiscriminate killing of
many innocent civilians" in and near Juba. Also, he was accused of
planning to undermine the August 2015 peace deal ordering attacks on
the SPLA-IO position in the Upper Nile state.

According to the US administration, he ordered the 10 July 2016 attack
on the residence of the former FVP Riek Machar and the base of his
troops in Jebel area in Juba. The OFAC said he conducted this attack
"knowingly countermanding orders from President Salva Kiir". Further,
the accusations included obstructing humanitarian assistance and
activities of the peacekeepers.

Also, Awan denied benefiting from the war, saying he did not acquire
anything new while serving as the army chief of staff.

“People who know me knows I have not acquired anything new when took
over the command of the SPLA. All the things they are talks like the
house in Uganda, I acquired before I became the chief of staff. It was
way back, long time ago. The documents are there for people to see,”
he said

The sacked general said he was now a normal citizen and should be
allowed to tend to his private life than continuing to associate him
with public affairs.

Last May, President Salva Kiir relieved Awan from his position as army
chief and put him confinement in Juba. Recently, he denied allowing
him to travel to Nairobi after the death of his daughter there.

(ST)

 Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following
rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their
Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on
the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to
express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your
comment as an article to comm...@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

    12 September 22:10, by lino

    Normal citizen? Why you are under house arrest?!!!

    repondre message
    13 September 01:36, by Kush Natives

    Mr. Awan,
    You’re a man of your words, you were just executing an order from
upper hand boss. I wouldn’t agree with those who’re blaming you on
this. President Salva Kiir already fired you, therefore, why should
United States government still running while Kiir is still there?
Where is the human rights here?

    repondre message
    13 September 05:52, by Tilo

    hahah Proud of executing your duties, does the constitution of
south Sudan give right to kill innocent civilians? Lord have mercy. So
you don’t regret the sanction no worries that is just the beginning,
Once peace come back in SS you will be needed in ICC, I hope you can
be proud to go defend urself n clear ur name in ICC.
    P’ple with no humanity n respect for human dignity re found in SS

    repondre message
        13 September 07:37, by Newsudan

        China donated 1250 tonnes of rice to help South Sudan while
American donated sanctions, a village man can understand that China is
friendly country, US is fourth beast on earth(Daniel) that will
trampled down the whole world, Iraq,Syria,Libya,Ukraine, Yemen,
Afghanistan, Pakistan, CAR,Somalia, N Korea nuclear crises and now in
south Sudan.

        repondre message
    13 September 07:27, by Lenin Bull

    The US sanctions on Malong, Makuei, and Malek are a strategy to
weaken Kiir’s government and cause internal conflict that can explode
into another Dinka-Dinka war and finally the collapse of the
government. No thing wrong these gentlemen have committed in the
course of the current war created by Dr.Riek and the West in South
Sudan.

    repondre message
    13 September 07:32, by Lenin Bull

    The US indirectly wants Malong to rebel and fight Kiir. They want
Makuei to run away from Kiir and stop being vocal in defending the
government programs and activities. Malek is targeted so that the SPLA
is not professionalized and armed to defend the country. These US
sanctions are simply " les ruses de guer."

    repondre message
    13 September 07:38, by Lenin Bull

    If the US was such serious and meaning well about its sanctions in
South Sudan, why did they leave out Simon Gatwech Dual who used to
give military orders in Nuer Language not to leave anything alive in
any town they attacked, Gathoth Gatkuoth who burned down Malakal town
and killed all civilians in Malakal, Baliet, and Gelachol,Peter Gadet,
James Kong Chol, Wesley Welebe killing civilians in Equa

    repondre message
    13 September 07:43, by Lenin Bull

    Gen.Wesley Welebe killing innocent civilians along the high ways
in Equatoria, etc? The US is simply playing with our intelligence as
people of South Sudan. Why does the US know all that is happening/does
by the government side but professes ignorance of rebel atrocities/war
crimes? Any way patriotic South Sudanese people should go ahead with
their nation building and defense of its sovereignty.

    repondre message
    13 September 07:50, by Lenin Bull

    Congratulations King Paul for rubbishing UN sanctions. The US has
never sanctioned its own Generals that committed war crimes and crimes
against humanity in Irag, Afghanistan, Libya, Syria, etc. The US is
simply bullying South Sudan government and people. Riek Machar is
currently commanding and ordering war in his five star hotel room in
RSA and US is dumb about it!!

---
"South Sudan Info - The Kob" group.
to southsudankob+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.