More Than 1000 Households Affected By Floods In Bor
Since the beginning of September over 1000 houses in Bor town have
been affected by flooding following heavy rains.

By Jo Ngong Akau

BOR, 18 September 2017 [Gurtong]-A resident of Lekyak suburb in Bor
town, Marth Aluel Akuei, said her home was swept away by the floods.
She is now urging the authorities to come to her rescue and donate
sheltering materials to those who have been affected.

Lueth Alier, a resident of block two suburb, says going to work every
morning has become difficult as he is forced to go through flooded
areas to get to his work place.

“Because this water has mixed up with water from the Nile so some
harmful animals from the river can come out when the water flows. They
are very dangerous sometimes, animals like crocodiles among others in
the water.” Lueth Alier explains.

Lueth is asking the government to set up a drainage system across Bor town.

Another resident of Hai-panjak Suburb, 30 year old Angeer Majier, says
following the floods she is now taking refuge at a neighbour’s house
with her three children.

“You have seen how the flood has affected us, it’s very bad. My entire
house is flooded. I am struggling now to see if I could get plastic
sheets so that I set up a Tukul for me and my children.” Angeer Majier
said.

The Deputy Mayor for Administration and Finance in Bor municipality,
Machar Machol Deng said “There are number of households that are being
affected by the flood right now. There are over 150 from Lekyak and
Panjak. Also if you go to the side of Acheng-diir, there is over 1200
number of households. There is heavy flooding here in Bor town and the
rest of the blocks which I did not mention.” Machar Machol Deng
explains.

Machol says their administration has tried to open up drainages but
has failed to complete the work due to financial difficulty.

He however said his office has requested the NGOs to intervene in
helping the town residents.

Posted in: Home, Humanitarian

---
"South Sudan Info - The Kob" group.