Greg Ewing wrote:
> This sounds very interesting, especially the part about
> being able to use a variety of existing 3D model formats
> as input.
Actually it's about being able to handle levels (scenes) modeled with
any modeler (at least the most used). Level designers all have their
modeler of choice and they don't like to change, it is not a good idea
to tell a 3DS pro that he must use Blender instead.
That's one of the hard part of the project (but not the hardest I
think). There is several solutions to that problem, I haven't done much
research on those yet.

The best would be to find a standard file format that all modeler can
support and implement only that one, sounds like a dream...
Unfortunately I'm not sure such a format exist yet. Their is the Collada
format that have been made to be a standard but it seems that it is not
well handled yet by modelers. Blender have a plugin for it but it seems
very incomplete. For 3DS it look like you have to pay to get a collada
plugin. I have been told that SketchUp is the only modeler that support
collada natively and properly (don't know if that is true). Since you
like SketchUp, can you tell me if it is possible to model a whole level
with it ? Including the possibility to model terrains, put light
sources, place locations and name them, label some parts of the geometry
with specific names ?

Other possibilities are either to handle several of the most used 3D
files format, or to write exporters for the most used modelers. I don't
feel comfortable about using non standard file format since they might
change with new software version and not necessarily be reverse
compatible. Also it look like a basic exporter does not require much
line of code. It might be easier to code and maintain severals exporters
for the most used modelers than trying to support their file format.

Any informations on this would be appreciate.

Souvarine.