2011/6/14 Greg Ewing <greg.ew...@canterbury.ac.nz>:
> deavid wrote:
>>
>> Soya source tarballs have a root folder named "soya-x.y.z". This makes
>> soya not buildable with pyrex or cython.
>
> So why doesn't the source tarball come with the necessary
> subdirectory in the first place?

Is not a bug when building the tarball, in fact, is the correct way to
build the tarballs.
Tarballs should have a root folder named "packagename-packageversion",
where packageversion comes in X.Y.Z format.

I believe it is incorrect to ship tarballs with soya/ as a root
folder. You must be able to untar several releases of the same project
on the same folder and each one should create a different folder for
each release.

So, i think we should assume that the root folder name isn't the
module name. Take a look onto the Simple Example for distutils "sdist"
command:
http://docs.python.org/distutils/introduction.html#a-simple-example

It says: <<<sdist will create an archive file (e.g., tarball on Unix,
ZIP file on Windows) containing your setup script setup.py, and your
module foo.py. The archive file will be named foo-1.0.tar.gz (or
.zip), and will unpack into a directory foo-1.0.>>>