On Tuesday 25 November 2008 04:56:36 am Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> Right now we build into tag dist-5E-sw-0.4-candidate. When I have been
> working on that nightly repo I find one good reason why we should use
> tag dist-5E-sw-0.4 and only successful builds tagged there from
> dist-5E-sw-0.4-candidate. The reason are nightly builds.
>
> Now the package get into nightly repo only if you tagged that package in
> git. If you do not tagged it there we have two possibility how to build
> the package.
I think we can assume if its not tagged that means that the work is not
complete and not ready to be built or tested.

> 1) Automatically tag the package in git and current script will then
> automatically pick it up for rebuild.
> Honestly - I do not like such option.
I do not like that either

> 2) Create tag dist-5E-sw-0.4. Normally build into
> dist-5E-sw-0.4-candidate as now and unsuccessful builds tag into
> dist-5E-sw-0.4. Final Spacewalk create from dist-5E-sw-0.4 tag.
> For nightly builds, let call "make test-srpm" on untagged packages and
> build in koji the packages with .git.longsha1 dist tag.
> This way you make sure when somebody finally tag the package (which bump
> up the version automatically) such package will be upgraded to last
> version. I prefer this option.
Im assuming that you mean moving successful builds into dist-5E-sw-0.4

I honestly do not like how when you tag something it bumps the release.  I
fell that when we do a release all tarballs should be that release  so for 0.4
we should have spacewalk-java-0.4.0.tar.gz or spacewalk-java-0.4.0.tar.bz2
and bug fixes in the 0.4 series get 0.4.1  etc  every other open source project
ive worked with (mysql  does something simmiliar to how spacewalk is working)
uses RCS snapshots for prerelease testingor in the case of gnome and KDE for
0.4  they would use 0.3.85  etc,  I can live with how it currently is though.

> 3) OK. There is third option. To build .git.longsha1 packages in
> dist-5E-sw-0.4-candidate and not creating dist-5E-sw-0.4. But it will
> create only mess. I'm scratching such option.
>
> How do you like it? Or do you have another idea how to implement nightly
> builds?
tag dist-5E-sw-0.4 already exists once we get closer to release and start
doing QA on the release, i envisioned running koji move-tag on everything in
candidate at that time to dist-5E-sw-0.4.  we would then sign the packages and
do the composes on dist-5E-sw-0.4 which would be what gets pushed out as 0.4.
the composes from the candidate tags are testing repos.  I expect that the
repos from the candidate tags  can be used to prove that your build fixes the
bugs or adds the features that they are supposed to.  and once proven we will
move to dist-5E-sw-0.4, sign the package and push it out.

I do not thing we are that far away from teh same goals.  I just think that
doing builds needs to be the deliberate action of an engineer.  We can and
should make "make  tag" do the build also.

Dennis