On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 12:27:04PM -0400, Devan Goodwin wrote:
> I think the build.py script for building spacewalk packages is ready
> for some wider testing. At this point the functionality should be
> roughly equivalent to the Makefile.git. If you're looking to build
> spacewalk packages the script is located in rel-eng/bin/build.py.
>
> To use it just cd to the project you want to build and call the script
> via full path, or add it to your PATH variable and make your life
> easier.
>
> cd java/
> build.py --srpm
>
> Also if you'd prefer to have your packages built somewhere *other* than
> the current working directory (which is very useful) Jan's setup for
> configuring this still works:
>
> (dgood...@elaine)[~/src/spacewalk] % cat ~/.spacewalk-build-rc
> RPMBUILD_BASEDIR = /tmp/spacewalk-build
>
> Usage is:
>
> (dgood...@elaine)[~/src/spacewalk] % build.py --help
> Usage: build.py [options] arg

>   -h, --help      show this help message and exit
>   --tgz           build .tar.gz
>   --srpm          build srpm
>   --rpm           build rpm
>   --dist=DIST     dist tag to apply to srpm and/or rpm (i.e. .el5)
>   --test          Use current branch HEAD instead of latest package tag.
>   --no-cleanup    Do not clean up temporary build directories/files.
>   --tag=TAG       Build a specific tag instead of the latest version.
> (i.e. spacewalk-java-0.4.0-1)
>   --debug         Print debug messages.
>   --tag-release   Tag a new release of the package. (i.e. x.y.z-R+1
>   --keep-version  Use spec file version/release to tag package.
>
> Combine --test with --rpm or --srpm to replicate the functionality of
> make test-rpm.
>
> Please note that anyone can build tgz, srpm, or rpm, but the tagging of
> packages should really only be done by those with commit access. (you
> can still do it, the tags will just be meaningless and cause conflicts
> when someone tags the same version you have locally)
>
> Please let me know if you see any problems, or if there's anything else
> you'd like to be added.

Devan,

if I need srpm from particular tag, I can do

        spacewalk$ make srpm TAG=tsdb-1.27.17-1

in the top level of the spacewalk repo and get .src.rpm created.

If I try

        spacewalk$ rel-eng/bin/build.py --tag=tsdb-1.27.17-1 --srpm

I get

        ERROR: Unable to locate a spec file in /mnt/data/project/spacewalk

What is the correct way of building a package from a particular tag,
without chdirring to package's directory (which might not even exist
by now)?

--
Jan Pazdziora
Satellite Engineering, Red Hat