Jan Pazdziora wrote:
On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 09:17:39AM -0500, Jeff Ortel wrote:
Whether this is done via 1) compatibility layer or 2) migrating the queries to ANSI SQL or both is another question. The advantage of doing it in the compatibility layer is (maybe) lower risk when running on Oracle. But, since we know there are many queries that must be rewritten (for example: queries with the oracle (+) syntax for outer joins) anyway, why not just do the right thing now and get it over with while we're committed to spending the $$ and time to do this? If satellite is going to become a multi-database application, shouldn't the application code be as database agnostic as possible?

Agreed with the intention. But why is this part of the PostgreSQL
effort. Shouldn't this be completely independent goal, with its own
requirements and plan and test plan?

Maybe.  I guess it depends on difference in effort required.

After the tagging process we need to count the #2 vs #3 queries (as planned) and then decide which strategy make sense for us. Without these numbers, we'll just be guessing the risk/reward of taking either approach.

Agreed.