Travis Camechis wrote:
> That is interesting.  Seems like a silly thing to do just for a debug
> statement.

>From what i read on google, there's no real benefit if you're just doing:

log.debug("this is a message")

But when you start doing string concatenation and getting the values of
things in the debug statement, it starts to get unacceptably expensive.

Of course it makes sense to wrap:

log.debug("Message: " + getExpensiveOperationResult())

But I wouldn't have thought simple string concatenation would be *that*
expensive.  Apparently it is (probably when doing it multiple times
repeatedly) such that it warrants being wrapped.

> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Devan Goodwin <dgood...@redhat.com
> <mailto:dgood...@redhat.com>> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 11:57:00 -0400
> Justin Sherrill <jsher...@redhat.com <mailto:jsher...@redhat.com>>
> wrote:
>

>> Might be a nice thing to do after the next fork for Sat.  Having to
>> use log.isDebugEnabled() is ugly IMO and it'd be nice not to have to
>> do it where we don't have to.
>
> I hate doing this too. I was gonna take issue with it as it's ugly and
> seemed pretty silly until I googled and saw that it is best practice if
> the statement is doing string contact.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Devan

Justin Sherrill, RHCA          1801 Varisty Drive.
Software Engineer                Raleigh, NC 27603
Red Hat, Inc.