On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 10:06:37AM -0400, Jason Dobies wrote:
>> Isn't the main problem here the fact that whatever limit you chose, if
>> the original channel is at or near the limit, the cloned one will be
>> over limit? So the real fix is to
>>
>> - match the textfield length in the WebUI to the column width,
>>   whatever that one is;
>> - if the generated name would end up longer, truncate it in such a way
>>   that the name is still unique;
>> - when handling the form, verify that the data is indeed shorter or
>>   equal the column width.
>
> That's what I was getting at in my original e-mail, that the truncation
> is the answer (though based on the other BZ it looks like that's
> explicitly not the desired approach).
>
> The question of the channel name length came up related to this since if
> Red Hat channels themselves are so close to the limit, customer channels
> might be as well. Since we give the extra space for labels, why not
> raise name to match that?

Ok let's just do this

1) increase the size to something reasonable, say 256
2) ensure that when we autogenerate the name that is > max, we
   show the user an error message and have them edit the
   channel name to something shorter that they might like.

3) open a cold one and call it a day.

--
jesus m. rodriguez        | jes...@redhat.com
sr. software engineer     | irc: zeus