On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Michael Stahnke<mastah...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 8:57 AM, Devan Goodwin<dgood...@redhat.com> wrote:
Still Oracle dependencies because we still depend on Oracle. :)
Spacewalk right now would be less than useless without them. The pgsql
merge is just a first tiny step, we're still a long ways from working
on PostgreSQL. At some point though you are correct, we'll want to
isolate the Oracle deps and make them optional.

Perhaps you could explain this a little more.  When I read that the
Postgres Merge happend, I assumed that meant Postgres functionality.
Also, in reading Cliff's notes for Spacewalk 0.6, it looked like
Postgres support was in there.  Am I just mis-reading things, or is
there more to it?  I am sure it's a very significant effort for the
whole process, I just want to be sure I understand where it's at.

To my knowledge the postgres merge was a very small step on the path to
supporting PostgreSQL. The schema was reorganized and standardized
to work with a new sql build tool called chameleon. The purpose of this
is to allow us to maintain both PostgreSQL and Oracle schema. IIRC, the
PostgreSQL work is not done yet and quite a bit a ways away.

So in short, Spacewalk 0.6 will *NOT* support PostgreSQL :)

jesus