Devan Goodwin wrote:

While a bunch of preliminary schema and app stack prep for PostgreSQL
went out in Spacewalk 0.6 there were a few small problems, now fixed
and soon to land in the devel repo. For those interested in trying this
out and hopefully contributing here's the basic steps to get going now,

1. Install 0.6 normally, but don't run spacewalk-setup.
   * Yes Oracle packages need to be installed but it doesn't need to be
     configured. We still need to sort out a lot of deps issues.
2. Switch to spacewalk devel repo: http://miroslav.suchy.cz/spacewalk/
3. Update packages.
4. Make sure you have PostgreSQL 8.4 installed:
   http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/
   I use a script like this to blow it away and reinstall fresh:

yum remove -y postgresql postgresql-server
rm -rf /var/lib/pgsql/
yum install -y postgresql-libs postgresql postgresql-server
service postgresql initdb
service postgresql start
# Enable password authentication for network connection from localhost:
echo "local all all ident" > /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf
echo "host all all 127.0.0.1/32 md5" >> /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf
echo "host all all ::1/128 md5" >> /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf
service postgresql restart
chkconfig postgresql on
su - postgres -c 'createuser --superuser -P spacewalk' <<EOF
spacewalk
spacewalk
EOF
su - postgres -c 'createdb spacewalk'
su - postgres -c 'createlang plpgsql spacewalk'

5. yum install python-pgsql (adding the dep to spacewalk-backend now)
6. Run spacewalk-setup and specify postgresql for the database type. My
answers file looks like:

admin-email = y...@example.com
db-backend = postgresql
db-user = spacewalk
db-host = localhost
db-password = spacewalk
db-sid = spacewalk
db-port = 5432
db-protocol = TCP
ssl-set-org = Your Org
ssl-set-common-name = Your Org Test
ssl-set-org-unit = WHAT
ssl-set-city = Raleigh
ssl-set-state = NC
ssl-set-country = US
ssl-password = whatever
ssl-set-email = whate...@example.com

If you have the latest code this should get past schema population,
then fail during satellite activation, rhn-installation.log will report
a problem with modify_org_service procedure. The procedure exists it's
just probably untested and not working. :)

So next steps would be to correct the (IIRC) 2 stored procedure
problems that block spacewalk-setup from completing and then we're
getting quite clear to start diving into the app, fixing page by page
or so.
DISCLAIMER: We're just talking about SURVIVING setup here, the app and
it's thousands of queries will still not work against PostgreSQL, many
stored procedures have not been ported, others have been ported but
never tested in a live environment so we don't even know if they're
working.

As additional help, when working on postgresql schema it's quite
easy to build the schema on your devel machine and copy it to your
installed spacewalk instance for each change you want to test:

cd schema/spacewalk/postgresql
make && scp main.sql r...@wherever:/etc/sysconfig/rhn/postgres/main.sql

Then on the spacewalk system re-run spacewalk-setup:

su - postgres -c 'dropdb spacewalk && createdb spacewalk && createlang
plpgsql spacewalk'

spacewalk-setup --answer-file=/root/postgresql.txt --disconnected

Be warned that the "do you want to clear schema" option in
spacewalk-setup won't work for postgresql, I need to disable it until
we figure out how to do so.

That's about it. Will try to cleanup some of the above irritations in
the near future to make this a little smoother. Not pretty but it's a
start.

Cheers,

Devan

Devan - is this all on wiki somewhere? :) Want to make sure - I assume it is.

Thanks,
Cliff

- -- Devan Goodwin <dgood...@redhat.com>
  Software Engineer     Spacewalk / RHN Satellite
  Halifax, Canada       650.567.9039x79267