Jesus M. Rodriguez wrote:
> 2009/9/8 Dennis Gilmore <den...@ausil.us>:
>> On Friday 04 September 2009 07:33:36 am Miroslav Suchý wrote:
>>> Today, we have both Spacewalk (and proxy) packages together in one repo
>>> with client packages.
>>> If somebody will install Spacewalk on RHEL he will get as side effect
>>> all those client packages (rhnlib, yum-rhn-plugin, rhn-client-tools),
>>> which will get him to unsupported state.
>>> I'm not sure if this is what we wanted. In fast, we probably do not want
>>> this.
>>> I suggest to split yum repo to two parts. One is Spacewalk and Proxy.
>>> Second is client tools.
>>>
>>> Do you agree? Do you disagree? Any comments?
>> We cant easily do this. Without creating a maintenance headache for
>> ourselves.
>> mash grabs all the packages from a koji tag and puts them into a repo.
>> taking
>> into account inheritance.
>>
>> To implement this we would need to setup additional tags inheriting  from the
>> build tags and then we would need to block all of the packages we dont want
>> in
>> the mashed repos. if any sub rpms are split across repos we cant do that.
>> Keeping in mind we should be getting everything into Fedora/EPEL so that the
>> koji we use can go away remember its only a temporary setup. This is alot of
>> extra work for little gain.   the blocking of packages would need to happen
>> on
>> each and every version bump of spacewalk.  our best bet is likely to block
>> the
>> packages that are shipped in RHEL so we do not build our own version and make
>> sure that CentOS ships them. and continue with our single repo.
>

> It sounds like a nightmare on the koji side. So what is it that we're
> trying to resolve
> with this change? I know from a user's point of view it makes sense to
> see a client and a server repo. But what pain is really being caused
> with the current setup?

As I understand it, the main concern that Miroslav was having in this
case was avoiding installing new versions of packages from Spacewalk
that are also shipped with RHEL or RHN Client Tools.  Basically, wanting
to avoid someone accidentally upgrading a Red Hat shipped package with a
Spacewalk package and making support a little more cumbersome.

Thanks.
Brandon