On 06/21/2010 01:17 AM, Jason Williams wrote:
I was demoing Spacewalk and I realized that it would be a very
interesting way to keep inventory and monitor all my systems, not just
the *nix based ones. So on a whim I decided to break out my limited

The question is what benefit will this bring you beyond simple inventory. You could not monitor it anyway. Well you can do only remote probes like ping, traceroute etc. but all that you can do with any other machine record as parameter of nearly all probes are hostname (which if left empty is set to hostname of that machine). Not sure if somebody will be willing to write equivalent of rhnmd for Windows.

Anyway, I thought I would post the simple python script here and see if
you guys thought it might be something that one day could fit into
Spacewalk/RHN. I've attached the script to this email. It's probably a
bit crude due to my limited Python experience, but surprisingly, I've
tested it on XP and Windows 7 and it seems to register a system just
fine with an activation key. I've done some of the basic Network
Monitoring tests with it too and they seem to work just fine. Thoughts?
And please feel free to tell me I'm probably barking up the wrong tree
if you do think I am.

I like it. This script will need some love - at least ability to specify activation key on command line and not hard code. If it will be usefull for somebody (and definitely it will), we can distribute it. Although it will be on bottom of our priorities. So if you are willing to work on it and maintain it, go on.

If you polish it I'm willing to accept it. What I would like to see before accepting it:

- separate README file, with install instructions
- not hardcoded activation key
- do not use ~/rhn_sysid but rather ~/systemid so we are more consistent
- I would like to be more consistent with rhnreg_ks or rhn_register in both naming of the script and accepted parameters. - put in header license you choosed for this script (GPLv2 is prefered, but it is up to you).

--
Miroslav Suchy
Red Hat Satellite Engineering