On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 12:24:53PM +0200, Michael Calmer wrote:

> I re-worked the patches now.
>
> spacewalk-repo-sync uses now a fix directory with a GPG keyring to store
> trusted keys.

Michael,

I'm not quite happy about two things:

- The interactiveness of the approach. Neither satellite-sync nor
spacewalk-repo-sync were interactive in the past and I'm worried that
making it interactive now could break expectations for people who run
these from quartz or from cron jobs, when the scripts start to do some
interactive manipulations.

Also, this approach kinda assumes that you are a root on the Spacewalk
server to hit that "y" to allow the key to be imported. But with
spacewalk-repo-sync and the sync (and scheduled syncs), we finally were
able to separate the root on the Spacewalk server from the content
admin -- you can now define channel and repository *and schedule sync
of the content* from the WebUI, without even knowing the root
password.

I wouldn't like us to lose this.

- I don't quite understand why you use filesystem to store the pubring,
why not put the keys to the database. That would make it much easier
to manage them, for example to "ack" import of the key from the WebUI.
When the distribution is being created, we could fetch the repomd.xml
and the key right on the spot and let the user approve it right there,
before the first sync.

The biggest problem with your approach is the fact that repositories
and channels are per-organization but the gpgdir in your patch is
global.

So again, it gets us back to the "you have to be root to manage
things" approach.

We already have a GPG and SSL Keys application which stores the keys
in the rhnCryptoKey table, that even has the org_id column. Can't you
just use this table to store the keys, instead of the gpgdir?

Also, is it correct that there is a boolean in the rhnContentSource,
instead of have a relation table which would list allowed and expected
keys (in rhnCryptoKey) for each rhnContentSource? Essentially have
per-rhnContentSource keyring. With the current boolean approach, I
might have a key for some external repository that I don't trust much,
mixed with key for my primary, most important content.

--
Jan Pazdziora