Hello,

We've recently come upon a bug when trying to insert a string of 1024
unicode characters into a database column of VARCHAR2(1024 BYTE). Rather
than dealing with string encoding transformations everywhere this issue pops up
in the code, I thought that modifying the database schema would be the
better solution.

BYTE seems to be the default for the Oracle database, but unicode
strings would map better to VARCHAR2(1024 CHAR).

The problem is that I couldn't find any way to set this in the table
schema files and get it past chameleon. chameleon just doesn't have the
right grammar defined to parse VARCHAR2(1024 CHAR) or "alter session set
nls_length_semantics=char".

So I was wondering if you guys know more about this problem or a better
solution than patching chameleon. Is there a specific reason for not using VARCHAR2( CHAR)?

Thanks,
Ionuț