All,
I've been working on setting up our High Performance Computing (HPC) shop for full Satellite/puppet baremetal provisioning. Since we only have one satellite license I did all of my intial testing on spacewalk using centos and quickly got my kickstarted machines registered in the spacewalk server and handed off to puppet.

With the proof of concept in place I've started to do the same in RH Satellite 5.5. however it seems like the version of cobbler that Satellite 5.5 needs does not play well with puppet. Specifically cobbler < 2.1 does not support the puppet stanza "remove_old_puppet_certs_automatically".

This made me start looking around online for a newer version of satellite or anyone who got the actual RH Satellite to work with puppet. This is where I found RH Cloud Forms. So my question for the spacewalk devels is this, if Spacewalk supports puppet integration and satellite does not, and cloud forms is a total rewrite of a RH systems management solution. How does the work being done in spacewalk get ported into satellite? And more generally then what is the future of spacewalk?

- (Stolen from) Dag Wieers

Edson Manners
Systems Administrator
High Performance Computing