Hi,

We had a downstream bug that boiled down to an uncaught exception in
XMLRPC serialization code (a class implementing XmlRpcCustomSerializer).

AFAIU at the moment any uncaught exception from by the serialize() is
basically ignored, "digested" by the redstone library and not added to
any log or error output, making it quite hard to find out issues. I
would like to add some code to add some exception details to the error log.

You can easily reproduce the bug on basically any Spacewalk version by
adding a line like this:

throw new NullPointerException();

to ServerSerializer.serialize(), then calling via API any XMLRPC method
that returns a server.

Proposed solution would be to try-wrap all serialize() methods in the
application, which is the only way I can think of to handle those
exceptions in Spacewalk code, since this problem really stems from
redstone. Creating a superclass is unfortunately not an option because
the serialize() method signature can change.

Any feedback or better idea is welcome. In case this is really the only
viable solution, would you accept such a patch?

Regards,
--
Silvio Moioli
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH