Hello,

While working on the Spacewalk redesign, we so far used less.js client-side.
This is fine for
development purposes, but it's however not the recommended way to go for
production environments,
see [1]. Rather we probably want to compile the spacewalk.less into
spacewalk.css during the rpm
build of spacewalk-branding. This means: 'BuildRequire' a less compiler, call
it during build and
install only the compiled *.css onto the server.

Now, since I would want to modify the .spec of spacewalk-branding accordingly,
my question is the
following: Do you have any preference of a specific compiler package to use? It
would be good if
we use a package that either already exists, or does not have many
dependencies, so it is easy to
build for all of the relevant distributions.

The most valuable options as far as I can see are:

- nodejs-less (there is nodejs-less in fedora, but it depends on nodejs, of
course)
- lesscss-engine (Java wrapper around less.js, no dependency on nodejs)
- install less as ruby gem (requires ruby, I didn't test this one)
- python-lesscpy (re-implementation based on Python Lex-Yacc, fails for our
current .less)

Let me know what you think, especially tell me if I am missing any other good
options here.
I personally would go for lesscss-engine: It's based on less.js and it needs
only rhino and
some jakarta commons libs. We build it for openSUSE already, see [2].

Thanks and regards,
Johannes

[1] http://lesscss.org/#usage
[2] https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:dmacvicar/lesscss-engine

--
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)
GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer