Hello all,

TLDR: Spacewalk packages build and can be installed on CentOS 8.

as I am working on getting Spacewalk to run on CentOS8/RHEL8, I would like to
share my progress here with you, in the hopes that you can contribute or share
your experience/knowledge. I am not company sponsored, not a developer nor do I
have much other knowledge of Linux.

Around three weeks ago, I forked the GIT repo and the COPR repositories. So
that is the basis of my current work:
https://github.com/sbluhm/spacewalk
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/sbluhm/nightly/           # Contains
the packages from the original spacewalk nightly
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/sbluhm/java-packages/     # Contains
421 Java related and other random packages
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/sbluhm/python-packages/   # Contains
115 Python, Perl and other random packages
http://dev2.bluhm-de.com/packages                                 # Custom repo
for locally compiled or added packages that I was not yet able to build.

Primary objective was to hack everything together to get everything to build.

I have added and built all required dependencies (mainly Python 2 and Java) and
modified the RPM spec files so that it is possible to successfully build all
Spacewalk packages. It is also possible to install all Spacewalk packages apart
from spacewalk-proxy* and spacewalk-oracle* which I have no idea (or currently
care) how to set up.

Unfortunately, spacewalk-setup fails due to a postgresql configuration error
(unrecognized configuration parameter "checkpoint_segments"), otherwise this
would have been an additional great achievement.

Next few steps I see (in no real particular order):
- Clean up and verify the git changes and push them to the Spacewalk master.
Michael, you will see quite a few SHORT pull requests coming from me in the
future. It would be great, if you could sanity check them (as mentioned above,
I am not a developer nor do I know what I am doing).
- Fix the compile issues from my local repository and add them to the COPR
repos.
- Clean up the repos. I probably have more packages built than required.
Including already existing RHEL8 packages and/or module conflicts.
- Start moving code to Python 3 to get rid of the many custom built Python 2
packages.

Open questions from my side:
- What do I do with those build packages in my repos? How/where do I add them
to hand my work over? Please give some assistance where to put what (git,
nightly, python-packages, java-packages) and how.
- Is there a reason to keep Python 2 or can everything be moved to Python 3?
- What are the supported OS? I would say RHEL>=7 (remove 6 code), Fedora >= 29
(28 is EOL in May and I doubt we will be ready for a release by then). What
about SLES? I have seen SLES specific code in there.
- Probably create a wiki page/edit for instructions how to install the nightly
on RHEL8

Do you see the next steps in the same way? Do you have any other suggestions,
recommendations, guidelines?
How can you assist?

I will shift my focus for time being to a different project (evdi) to get my
second screen working again. Then I will probably be back here.

Best wishes,

Stefan