The base would have 6. The yum repositories used to sync with these channels
contain the same as what centos releases. So when 6.1 is released the
packages first get synced to the base os level repository. This in turn gets
synced to the channels which allows the systems running 6.0 to be upgraded
to 6.1. Any updates that get put into the 6 updates repository get added to
the updates channel and so on. This has been tested with 5.2 all the way up
to 5.6 for our servers in our environment. I don't have to change base or
any sub channel. All I have to do to upgrade to a new sub-release is put the
packages in the repository needed (This is actually done by CentOS by
default. so really only thing I have to do is sync the repos and channels.).
To enable testing of each release that is why I have Development, Test, and
Production to make sure everything works before moving the new packages to
the other channels. This is all done via scripts and is almost fully
automated.

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 10:38 AM, John Hodrien <j.h.hodr...@leeds.ac.uk>wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Aug 2011, Jeremy Davis wrote:
>
>  <orgname>-centos-{development,**test,production}-base-{v4,v5,**
>> v6}-{32bit,64bit}
>>    <orgname>-centos-{development,**test,production}-addons-{v4,**
>> v5,v6}-{32bit,64bit}
>>    <orgname>-centos-{development,**test,production}-centosplus-{**
>> v4,v5,v6}-{32bit,64bit}
>>    <orgname>-centos-{development,**test,production}-contrib-{v4,**
>> v5,v6}-{32bit,64bit}
>>    <orgname>-centos-{development,**test,production}-extras-{v4,**
>> v5,v6}-{32bit,64bit}
>>    <orgname>-centos-{development,**test,production}-updates-{v4,**
>> v5,v6}-{32bit,64bit}
>>    <orgname>-custom-{development,**test,production}-{v4,v5,v6}-{**
>> 32bit,64bit}-<product/**environment name>
>>
>> If you have any further questions please feel free to ask. Thank you for
>> your time and have a great day!
>>

> Just a simple query; is the base 6.0 or 6?  If the former (which you seem
> imply) how to do you upgrade to sub-reases within the base channel?
>
> jh

Thank you,
Jeremy Davis, GCIH