The other thread got confused, so I thought I'd move to a new one since I
now have better questions (I think).

Problem remains the same - I have a kickstart profile linked with a
configuration channel that works after first boot, but the files are not
being uploaded during the installation and must be loaded via a hack
(thanks William) in a post install script.

>From my most recent installation (5 mins ago):

Before the post install script hack, I run this command:

date > /root/verify_configs.out
rhncfg-client verify >> /root/verify_configs.out

and get this:

Fri Apr  1 10:43:57 AEDT 2016
Using server name emts-res-utils1
 modified /etc/cntlm.conf
  missing /etc/cron.d/15min
  missing /etc/cron.quarter_hour/check_nfs_mounts.sh
  missing /etc/munge/munge.key
 modified /etc/netconfig
  missing /etc/profile.d/proxy.sh
  missing /etc/samba/user
  missing /etc/slurm/slurm.conf
  missing /etc/slurm/slurmdbd.conf
 modified /etc/sysctl.conf

>From this I can see that 7 files are missing.

What do the three "modified" files represent? Does modified represent that :
 - "the default installation files are in place, they are different from
what's in the Configuration Channel in question, so we represent this as
modified" OR
 - "we have uploaded these files in particular, but not the others"?

I noticed in the ks-rhn-post.log that there were a bunch of attempts to get
to the centos mirror list (I have no idea why that is happening and would
rather it didn't tbh) that were failing because of IPv6 problems. IPv6
isn't supported in house (out of my control) and part of my config change
is that IPv6 is disabled.

Obv, with those files being uploaded in a post script, it's not happening
in time for the cobbler.ks script.

So I put --noipv6 in the network line of my Advanced Options, but that has
obviously failed to do what I expected it to do - as I can see because the
ks-rhn-post.log still makes an attempt to connect via ipv6 to the centos
mirrors. (by the by, we have a proxy, so the curl would most likely fail
anyway - the cntlm file I'm uploading would solve that).

When I look in the Kickstart File tab of the profile in question, I see a
script getting run that I haven't put in, which I presume is  the one on my
Scripts tab called "Registration and server actions".

In that section, I noticed that there is a small stanza:

# begin Red Hat management server registration
mkdir -p /usr/share/rhn/
wget http://emts-res-utils1/pub/RHN-ORG-TRUSTED-SSL-CERT \
    -O /usr/share/rhn/RHN-ORG-TRUSTED-SSL-CERT
perl -Xnpe 's/RHNS-CA-CERT/RHN-ORG-TRUSTED-SSL-CERT/g' -i
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/*
if [ -f /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-redhat-release ]; then
    rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-redhat-release
fi
key=1-xxx,1-xxy,1-xyy,1-yyy
if [ -f /tmp/key ]; then
    key=`cat /tmp/key`,$key
fi

rhnreg_ks --serverUrl=https://emts-res-utils1/XMLRPC \
    --sslCACert=/usr/share/rhn/RHN-ORG-TRUSTED-SSL-CERT --activationkey=$key
# end Red Hat management server registration

I presume it is in here that the error is occurring.

I also note that another error in this part of the script is that

if [ -f /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-redhat-release ]; then

will always fail because all our keys are of the format

/etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-7

Can I just edit the Kickstart File in that profile tab, or is there another
way I might get some output into a log file to see where the problem is?

An if this is a cobbler snippet, can I just edit the appropriate file in

/var/lib/cobbler/snippets

or is that not recommended?

cheers
L.

------
The most dangerous phrase in the language is, "We've always done it this
way."

- Grace Hopper